PDA

View Full Version : Air Ducts & Allergy Problems

Paul Wilbert
03-10-2013, 04:49 PM
We have never had the air conditioning and furnace ducts cleaned. Asking around the resort, I can't find anyone who has. We seem to be having a lot of allergy problems and I was wondering if the ducts should be commercially cleaned?

Paul

NewellCrazy
03-10-2013, 06:14 PM
We have never had ours cleaned, but that might not be a bad idea. If I were to hire someone I would make sure they are familiar with rv's so they do not damage your ducts.

GORDON HUMMEL
03-10-2013, 06:27 PM
For what it is worth, I've replaced all my A/C ducts & most heater ducts with solid tubing to increase air flow. What I removed was visably clean, but had some leaks.
No sure how one would clean the flexable ducts as over time they do become brittle.

NEWELLWIZARD
03-10-2013, 06:43 PM
Do you think your allergy problems could be affected by something else? Even flooring if it's carpet could be a concern.

77newell
03-10-2013, 11:53 PM
You didn't state what year the coach is so I have no idea if what I'm going to say is relevant. We had over a period of the last few years a gradual increase in allergies while using the coach. One thing we found is that the filters in the roof-top air conditioners got dirty real quick so regular cleaning was instituted. Allergies got a bit better but still not good enough. For some reason I was looking in a closet at the rear of the coach and noticed a soft floor and discovered that the rear window to coach mastic seal had cracked. Replaced the seal and things got better but not quite there. Last summer I was crawling around in my one large storage bay and noticed that the floor was soft in one corner so I pulled up the vinyl cover and the plywood was wet. Long story short I added sealant around the awning bracket above the wet spot and replaced the floor. Big improvement in air quality. We are all happy campers now.

So, maybe you've got a moisture problem somewhere hidden, it's worth a long look.