PDA

View Full Version : Refueling took 20 Minutes

David Carrol
03-14-2013, 04:30 PM
I stopped for fuel this morning. It had a 1/4 of a tank when I started. I had to continually trigger the nozzle or it would click off. I couldn't set it at the slowest notch. It took 20 minutes to fill the tank. Toward the end it was clicking off almost as soon as I would pull the trigger so I thought it was full, when I got in & checked the gauge it was still below full.

Thoughts?

David Carrol

Jack Fouts
03-14-2013, 04:39 PM
Some coaches are a real pain it the you know what to fuel at certain pumps. A friend always complains when fueling his Newell because his fuel neck is so close to the basement door hinge, there is not a lot of room to get the nozzle in there where you can fill it without holding the nozzle the whole time. He's talked about changing the door to swing out instead of up.

The Newell
03-14-2013, 04:58 PM
partially blocked vent lines?...This can cause the displaced air to be slow to leave the tank and cause shutoff or worse.

just guessing,

Joseph

stewart33
03-14-2013, 06:30 PM
Maybe it was a messed up pump? Have you had this problem before?

77newell
03-14-2013, 09:52 PM
The previous owner of my 77 coach supplied me with an accessory for assisting with fueling. It is made of 1-5/8" ID steel tube, probably exhaust pipe. The layout is as follows: draw a straight line about a foot in length, 8" from the end draw a line down at a 36 degree angle, mark the new line 6-14" from the intersection. This is your pattern for the top side of my fueling accessory. Cut the 6-1/4" leg end back at a 45 degree angle. You may have to tweak the dimensions a bit so that the top end hits the door sill as shown in the photo. This prevents the thing from falling into the tank. With this gadget I can fill the tank without the problems mentioned above but you do need to be there as the auto shutoff may not shut off when it should, but usually foam starts spilling out before liquid overflows.

rellick
03-15-2013, 01:56 AM
My Newell has a fuel cap on each side, if others are like this you could take the cap off the other side to act as a vent, just dont forget to replace it after fuelling:thumbsup:

Neweller
03-15-2013, 03:09 AM
Jon K, that is a handy item. I have had the same problem with Newell's and every time I fueled, I wondered why the factory designed the tanks this way? Keith, two of my previous coaches had access and both sides and that's a great tip.

77newell
03-15-2013, 12:21 PM
On the question of why Newell designed the tanks the way they did we'd have to ask them, but I suspect the reason is to ensure adequate expansion space for fuel as it warms up coming out the underground tanks. A coach next to me came back from refueling (his fill is at an angle which allows filling to near the top) and 15 minutes later started spewing fuel on the ground from the vent pipe and did so for about 45 minutes. I was surprised at the amount.