PDA

View Full Version : classic newell ignition key won't turn

bigcatwally
03-16-2013, 04:58 PM
Hello, I arrived around 4PM at the campground and parked it yesterday. Now I need to move it and can not turn the key. Not sure if the darn ignition quite or what?
Thank you for any help you can lend,

Wally

MrE
03-16-2013, 05:02 PM
I'm not sure what steering column you have, but if you have a steering lock I would suggest turning the steering wheel both ways while trying to turn the key.

NewellCrazy
03-16-2013, 05:20 PM
What about spraying some lubricant first then try and turn your key?

Neweller
03-16-2013, 05:42 PM
Wally your ignition should be on the dash like most classics, I'm assuming. I would only recommend a little graphite on locks or ignition key switches. There are "liquid graphite" solutions that is just dry graphite suspended in a solvent carrier that will flash off quickly, which is what I prefer to use. I would be prepared to change out the old one for a new one. It's a pretty straight forward replacement and you probably already know that. Just remember wire colors going to terminals etc., maybe write it down for reference. That switch shouldn't be more than $25 depending on where you are located.

folivier
03-16-2013, 06:21 PM
Or take a picture before you disconnect anything. Gotta love smartphones.

Neweller
03-16-2013, 06:37 PM
Superb idea Forest. I forgot about the use of technology. I should have thought of taking a picture since I watched a movie last night called "Man on a Ledge" where they were using a little stick-on remote camera stuck up inside an alarm keypad cover shield to identify the lock combination as it appeared on the shielded display screen.:thumbup:

prairieschooner
03-16-2013, 11:10 PM
Really fairly basic Ignition Switch. Should come out easily and then off to NAPA. Yes a digital picture helps but also notes on what color wires.
If this is a Detroit then there is a momentary Switch next to the Ignition to Shut down the Detroit.

PS I would try the Graphite Lock Lube 1st as suggested.