PDA

View Full Version : Why Quality Built Into the Box Structure of a Luxury Coach is Very Important!

Neweller
03-17-2013, 04:30 PM
This is why I would not own any luxury coach unless it was a Bus Conversion, Newell or Wanderlodge. This Beaver did not fare very well from a hard collision impact. Now, I would have to review salvage results by other manufacturers who build using fiberglass sides like Foretravel etc..... to make additional determinations. The biggest problem comes when you skimp on steel and aluminum replacing with light strand wood and choppered fiberglass materials.

This will be an interesting topic for further review.

PatriotLuke
03-17-2013, 05:11 PM
Excuse my stupidity here but aren't Newell's constructed with fiberglass front ends or am I mistaken.

Luke

MrE
03-17-2013, 05:16 PM
There was an article out on the Internet by Bob Gummersall dealing with frame rail vs. semi-monocoque and monocoque constrution that I read back in the 90's and was my introduction to quality RV construction. These pictures illustrate the point he was trying to make, most motor homes are not built to survive an accident. I'm glad that I own a Newell and know that in case of an accident I'm surrounded by quality construction that will protect me and my loved ones.:(y):

MrE
03-17-2013, 05:41 PM
Excuse my stupidity here but aren't Newell's constructed with fiberglass front ends or am I mistaken.

Luke

No, you are correct, Newell uses reinforced fiber-composite front and rear caps. The huge difference is the substructure that these caps are mounted to.

From the Newell websire: Molded, reinforced, fiber-composite panels are used for the front-end and rear-end caps and in some of the more complex trim forms of the Newell body. These allow for the complex shapes of the Newell’s unique, advanced styling.

Barthman
03-17-2013, 07:31 PM
Aren't all the classics aluminum up front? Til like 1989?

Barth are a pretty tough hombre as well. Just a retired brand like Wanderlodge.

cdat
03-17-2013, 09:08 PM
My understanding is that regular motor homes are not required to meet the NTSB's accident standards, while anything that is built as a commercial bus, whether it ends up as a motor home, or bus, must meet the NTSB's standards for a commercial passenger carrier. It's also been my understanding the although Newells chassis's are not a "commercial" bus frame they are built to the same standard. Any thoughts on what I've been told?

John

PatriotLuke
03-24-2013, 04:30 PM
Does anyone know what exactly reinforced fiber-composite front and rear caps is and means for consumers in terms of safety?

Luke