PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed Trailer or 4 Down Towing

BikerBob
03-22-2013, 07:12 PM
I have to wonder why more people use the toad method rather than an enclosed trailer?

Can you guys tell me why?

Thank You in advance.

Bob

NewellCrazy
03-22-2013, 07:39 PM
It's so simple to connect the tow car and go. Who wants to hook up a trailer, let the ramp down, drive in and strap/chain the car down, put up the ramp and go...? Not to mention, what do you do with the trailer when you're in a campground that doesn't have 70' pull-thru sites?

afrench45
03-22-2013, 07:45 PM
I can drive to my shop, pull out the coach and hook up the car within 15 minutes, a trailer would take much more time. Very simple and quick to do.

folivier
03-22-2013, 07:54 PM
I tow a truck 4 down but have seen a few trailers. The trailer offers much more storage but does present difficulties.
Just saw a stacker with a workshop/storage in the front plus a RZR, Jeep, and above a Zodiac on a trailer that can also carry the RZR! Great setup.

chockwald
03-22-2013, 08:09 PM
It takes just a few minutes to drop the trailer on the hitch, and less than 10 minutes to load the car, and be on my way......a few extra minutes, but saving tons of wear and tear on the car.....PLUS I have a workshop on the road, and I can keep my four bikes inside the trailer out of the elements....I also wonder why so many tow 4 down, or with a car dolly.....I can back up too if I need too. The biggest benefit is having my garage with me on the road.....makes my life better pulling an enclosed trailer. Now, a stacker would be even cooler! The final benefit of an enclosed car hauler.....your car arrives at your destination just as clean as when you left.

Will Procter
03-23-2013, 12:56 AM
Visualize it. You'll get the picture. 4-down is the way to go.

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
03-23-2013, 06:09 PM
There is no way I would even consider towing a trailer with the car inside. On a few occasions I have turned into a place that I have to back out of. I merely unhook the car and back out, but with a trailer I would have to unload the car, somehow manhandle the trailer and only hope to get it out of the way to allow backing out. If I towed a trailer, I would have to be sure I never made a bad turn. I'm not that good.

cdat
03-23-2013, 08:30 PM
Any reason you couldn't just back the trailer?

chockwald
03-23-2013, 09:11 PM
I back with the car in the trailer often. Not a problem for me. Recently we were going to courtesy park in a culdesac of some friends......it was not big enough for me to turn around in, so I backed 300 feet into the culdesac from the side street. We have never had to drop the trailer to get fuel, and we rarely use truck stops. Just got to know the limits of your equipment.

I used to pull a toad four down, and frankly had more trouble with that than I ever have with the trailer.....

ccjohnson
03-24-2013, 01:11 AM
We pull the pick ups on open flat trailer. The XL7 is tow bar 4 down. For speed & ease, tow bar 4 down is the way to go!

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
03-24-2013, 07:10 PM
The problem with backing either a car or trailer is that the wheel base of the towed vehicle is so much shorter that the Newell wheel base. It is impossible for me to back up my coach with a 4' x 8' utility trailer. A car is not much better, but if the wheelbase of the trailer is long enough, the job gets easier. However, the length of the rig then most likely will violate some state laws, like California.