PDA

View Full Version : Overheating/engine smoke

Kelly Scott
10-02-2002, 10:14 PM
After all the talk about smoke, I have to ask the question.
80 model, 3208 Cat engine, I always start and let the engine idle for 10 to 20 min. before putting the unit in motion. On first application of full power, I always get a little smoke (white) which diminshes, and after first 1/2 mile goes away? Water temp running at 65-70 165-200 degrees, depending on grade. Please tell me this is normal

TechTalk
02-08-2008, 02:01 AM
I can't speak for the Cat, but Detroit's finest kind of frown on 10-20 minute warm ups except for very cold conditions. Diesels, unlike gasoline engines, tend to run cool at idle and prolonged idling tends to dilute the oil. I know, you see truckers idling their engings all night, but the Detroit engine experts claim these guys are hurting their engines. They recommend a short warm up (2-5 minutes in normal outside temperatures) but avoiding full throttle operations until normal operating temperatures are reached. I highly recommend the use of a block heater for cold morning starts to avoid the prolonged warm up requirement. I know this goes against the 'old school' but so does riding the brakes down a steep hill.