PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Replacement, Turbo Leaking Oil

Newell Attack
03-27-2013, 09:49 PM
Noticed turbo is leaking oil. Should I replace turbo with a new or rebuilt turbo and what can I expect to pay a shop for both part and installation?

Jeff

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
03-27-2013, 10:16 PM
Much depends on where it is leaking, but you should get advise on if it is safe to run the engine. The turbo gets very hot and could ignite the oil. Caution here.

MrE
03-27-2013, 10:32 PM
Jeff, not sure which engine you have...if it's a Detroit, there is a oil supply line running to the top of your turbo. I would check to make sure everything is tight. Some of the turbos also have an oil return line underneath. If that's where it's leaking I would check them for tightness also.

NewellCrazy
03-28-2013, 03:11 AM
Any leakage from the compressor / alternator would remain on the outside of the housing. If it leaks from the hole in the bottom of the housing it would most likely be the rear seal.

77newell
03-28-2013, 08:40 PM
My DD manual shows what Jon mentioned above - external supply line connected to the top and another line for oil drain connected to the bottom of the center housing. It is more likely that the supply line is leaking than the drain line, especially if the supply line connects to the center housing via a flat plate held in place by two bolts. There is a gasket between the plate and the housing. Given that DD has updated that connection to an all pipe threaded connection (the first version has the pipe threaded reducer screwing into the plate) that eliminates the plate and gasket. If your turbo has not been updated to eliminate the plate I wouldn't be surprised to find that is the source of the leak. DD can tell you whether you need to replace the turbo or if the existing turbo has the threaded connection in addition to the bolt holes for the plate.