PDA

View Full Version : 6V92 Idle Fuel Usage

PIExpress
03-30-2013, 11:22 PM
Trying to figure out how much the 6v92 uses at idle? I have not had a chance to work my advanced technology stick to dip in tank.

PIExpress

GringoPhil
03-31-2013, 05:01 PM
The engines fuel use depends on the LOAD the engine is under. High idle , not humping the air cond (40-80 hp), is almost zero load .Figure 1 GPH per hour of idling.

However idling is not good for your engine , tho it may be required for a couple of min to air up , it should never be used instead of a road run. 100mi , 2 hours every month, will keep your engine , and all the rest of the systems happy , and help not loose your road skills.

Phil

77newell
04-01-2013, 12:41 AM
PIExpress: why do you want to know fuel consumption at idle? As Phil said, and I've been told by many DD mechanics, this particular engine tolerate long periods of idle. I have not asked nor received an explanation as to why it is worse for this style of engine versus 4 stroke cycle engines. I've just never needed to have long periods of idle with my coach. Having said all that years ago I drove a couple highway buses that used a high idle setting (8-900 rpm) for idling periods while the bus warmed or cooled in preparation for passengers.