PDA

View Full Version : Universal Help and Understanding of Luxury Coach Wiring for Those Wanting to Know!

Neweller
04-06-2013, 06:48 PM
I found this Van Hool information very informative and to be a handy instruction for general coach wiring, terms and functionality. I think it will help some of you, if you're like me when it comes to mastering 12v DC electrical. Let me know what you think or you may want add to this thread for helping others out?

Note: This video starts out explaining some basics pertaining to this Van Hool electrical manual. This first minute or two of information may not seem like it pertains to your coach, but the idea here is understanding your coach electrical diagram and understanding wires and circuits better. Also, you can choose the full screen symbol and explode the view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U16alVCoFdU

77newell
04-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Ken: this is really useful even if you don't have wiring diagrams. When I'm trying to solve any problem the first thing I do is try to get a detailed description of the symptoms. This will help me understand which system has the problem and sometimes it's electrical. If it is electrical then the next thing I do is find a wiring diagram if there is one. If there isn't one then I create one, either mentally for simple circuits or on paper for more complex ones. Then I try to focus on the parts of the circuit that could be behaving in a way that creates the symptoms observed.

There are no circuit diagrams for the older coaches. We have to draw them as we go about dealing with problems. In order to do that we need to either have a pretty good understanding of how these circuits typically operate or find a book or manual that shows typical circuits for a vehicle of a similar age. There is no value in referring to a manual for a vehicle with computers if you have a pre-computer coach. Thankfully our classic coaches do have lists of wiring color codes so if you have a general location for looking on the coach you can probably find the wires you need.

rellick
04-07-2013, 03:57 PM
Jon, If you have this list of color codes would you mind sharing it? It would be very useful for me and a great addition for the forum. I dont have any info for my coach wiring. I have been just using a tester and chasing wires going through each circuit as I need. My fuse panel in the front has numbers beside each fuse but no list of what they are for, I have been labeling them as I go.

MrE
04-07-2013, 04:55 PM
Jon, If you have this list of color codes would you mind sharing it? It would be very useful for me and a great addition for the forum. I dont have any info for my coach wiring. I have been just using a tester and chasing wires going through each circuit as I need. My fuse panel in the front has numbers beside each fuse but no list of what they are for, I have been labeling them as I go.

Wrong Jon, but I posted all the colors for my 86 - http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/forum/electrical/5150-1986-williams-coach-wiring.html#post32714

khpaladin
06-20-2014, 06:12 AM
Jon, If you have this list of color codes would you mind sharing it? It would be very useful for me and a great addition for the forum. .

Keith,

If you still want that list of color codes, I have put together a pdf of our '81 Newell front terminal/fuse panel, the main 120VAC and coach 12VDC panel, and the rear coach panel for our coach. When we got our Newell in '97 all we had was two very worn sheets of numbers and wire colors. Over time I replaced the front panel AGC fuses with a din rail mounted ATO fuse blocks, and did the same for the main panel 18 AGC fuses, and rewired the rear panel. this pdf is the result. However, I am not sure how to attach the pdf other than emailing it to you, if you want them email me khpaladin@gmail.com

rellick
06-22-2014, 03:36 PM
Ki, Nice job on the diagrams!! I'm sure this will help alot of people.
I was able to upload the pdf file, hopefully it works. I did scan them but I couldnt upload pics like I used to, says the file is too big.

khpaladin
06-29-2014, 05:53 PM
...I did scan them but I couldnt upload pics like I used to, says the file is too big...

Keith,

I uploaded the 3 pdfs to a new album for me, but in testing them, they did not open. I scanned them to jpg's and uploaded them, but like you the album photo size requirements make them almost too small. So the jpg's are there see, I have added a note to each of the descriptions that if anyone would like a full size pdf version PM or email me (khpaladin@gmail.com) and I will email it to them.