PDA

View Full Version : Washing Awning Any Pointers?

GypsyCliff
04-12-2013, 01:16 AM
I've been washing the awnings on my newell with Oxi-Clean and it seems to be doing a decent job. I've used a large amount of it. Applied scrubbed with a brush and hosed off. After drying some of the spots are not completely gone. Anyone have any other pointers on this? Any tricks on keeping them nice & clean

TIA,

Cliff

77newell
04-12-2013, 01:29 PM
Cliff: I bought some awing cleaner from a local awning maker and found that it took several cycles of washing and rinsing to get things relatively clean. The best way I found was to remove the awning cloth from the awning metal parts (tedious but not hard) and throw it in a washing machine. The problem with that approach is that some of the thread broke down and needed restitching.

jWolfe
04-13-2013, 01:22 AM
Cliff take it to a professional. They will get the job done and then some. :thumbup:

NewellCrazy
04-13-2013, 02:18 AM
If they stay rolled up they will get dirty and hard to clean try soap with a dab of tide laundry soap.

GypsyCliff
04-13-2013, 02:29 AM
Ok I'll try tide mixed with soap. You don't think tide will be to harsh on my awning material do you?

Cliff

SharkRacing
04-13-2013, 05:39 AM
I have been using the tide method for years on awnings and carpets both. Works good and available everywhere.

Trainer
04-13-2013, 04:11 PM
SR,

Can you please share the formula for your Tide and soap awning and carpet solution?

Do you heat the solution for carpet cleaning?

Thanks,

Trainer

SharkRacing
04-13-2013, 08:54 PM
Hi Trainer, this is all I've doing for years when cleaning carpets using a steam cleaner, is fill the water reservoir with hot water and add the tide with a ratio of about 1 tablespoon to 1 gallon of hot water. Then let the machine heat up for about a minute and go to town on it like you would with regular solution. I've had really good luck doing this and it has always worked great.

On awnings I just premix with the same ratio and go to town on it with a pole brush and hose off afterwards. Same formula works for auto carpets but we would use a good nylon brush followed by a wet vacuuming.