PDA

View Full Version : Headliner is Sagging

Newell Attack
04-18-2013, 07:27 PM
My headliner is sagging in a couple places, not to bad but needs to be tightened some because of age, at least that is my guess. Does anybody know how the headliner in our classics is fastened to the ceiling and what is the best way to tighten up the headliner.

Jeff

mnhoff
04-19-2013, 12:38 AM
Jeff, mine let go quite bad so I repaired it last fall. Over the galley area a four foot length or better started getting worse. Not sure what your cieling looks like but in my 95 I removed the brass inlay that runs the better part of the coach, removed the staples that were holding the cieling fabric enough to reach in and screw the 1/4 or 3/8 G1s plywood back into place. Mine had dropped at least a inch plus over a 6 foot run. The prior plywood was held into place with 1/4 inch narrow crown staples that worked loose over time. It may only get worse with time.

Neweller
04-19-2013, 01:00 AM
Great information there Mike. Jeff it is very similar to what Mike has explained but on the Classics it it easier than it looks. You should not have the brass trim or

cloth like Mikes since his is in the 2000 Series body. The older classics have more of a bow to the ceiling and have tack vinyl tack strips like every 4 feet and also

along the edges as you probably have already figured out. If you look real close you will realize that there is a vinyl insert in the middle of those tack strips and you

will have to take something with a flat blade like a very skinny screwdriver or preferably a plastic little handheld wedge tool to pop the insert open. The insert should

just hinge to one side and you will just remove it all the way down the run of the tack strips. Then you will see the crown staples Mike is referring to. You can

actually carefully remove the staples, sometimes you can pull the vinyl tack strip out with the staple and then remove the staples while sitting or standing without

doing it overhead. Then you can tighten the headliner as needed then tack staple it while it's held tightly in place. Replace the tack strip evenly of course

re-stapling it and then push the insert back into place.

Hopefully you can understand what I'm explaining here. I don't know if I have any pictures from one of the coaches I worked on in the past or if the pictures are long lost with thousands of others from an old computer virus. I wish I would have uploaded them to this forum database so they would be here for everyone's benefit.

mnhoff
04-19-2013, 01:01 AM
3938Hope this helps. First time for a pic so hope this works

Neweller
04-19-2013, 01:09 AM
Good deal Mike, glad you are getting the hang of the whole picture thing. Once you do it a couple of times you will remember the steps. So there is the repair project in action.:thumbsup:

Newell Attack
04-19-2013, 06:02 AM
Ken, I sent you my phone number can you give me a call tomorrow?

Thanks,

Jeff

Newell Attack
04-19-2013, 06:05 AM
Jeff, mine let go quite bad so I repaired it last fall. Over the galley area a four foot length or better started getting worse. Not sure what your cieling looks like but in my 95 I removed the brass inlay that runs the better part of the coach, removed the staples that were holding the cieling fabric enough to reach in and screw the 1/4 or 3/8 G1s plywood back into place. Mine had dropped at least a inch plus over a 6 foot run. The prior plywood was held into place with 1/4 inch narrow crown staples that worked loose over time. It may only get worse with time.

Thanks Mike for your reply. I see you tackled some major repairs that most won't dare to attempt. Do you have more photos you're willing to share ?

Jeff

mnhoff
04-19-2013, 12:35 PM
3947Wish I would have taken more pics, But this is the finished product.

Neweller
04-19-2013, 12:40 PM
What a wonderful job Mike! Thanks for sharing what you do have. Believe me when I say it's all inspiring to many of us.

Cheri Smith
04-19-2013, 08:37 PM
Fantastic work Mike! It looks great. Thanks for sharing with us. :thumbsup:

NEWELLWIZARD
04-20-2013, 05:59 PM
Mike it looks good. Was it a fairly easy job?

Johnnybgood
04-20-2013, 06:11 PM
Nice work man :thumbup: