PDA

View Full Version : A bit of remodeling

HoosierDaddy
04-22-2013, 02:09 AM
I started disassembly this week!!

JustDustin
04-22-2013, 02:13 AM
Woo! :thumbsup: I'll be following along to see how it goes!

NEWELLWIZARD
04-22-2013, 02:47 AM
Cool. Looks like you have a little grandson helper too?

86loco
04-22-2013, 02:53 AM
This looks to be somewhat extensive. You obviously know what's going on.:thumbup:

rellick
04-22-2013, 03:36 AM
Hey right on! I guess you figured out how you are going to re-arrange things? Is your plumbing going to work out how you wanted ?

speedingsport
04-22-2013, 04:06 AM
Looking forward to seeing your changes.

HoosierDaddy
04-22-2013, 11:15 AM
Yes that is my Grandson, Nick. He's a lot of fun. I hope he has as much energy when he is old enough to use it effectively!!! The layout will be similar to The coach in Album 6 in 1993 coaches of the Newell Showcase. I'm planning on taking Keith's advice and move the fridge to the curb-side. Ahead of the fridge will be the kitchen/sink food-prep area as in Album 6 coach. the shower will be just behind fridge then a linen closet just aft of shower ahead of bedroom. The mid-located bunks will stay on driver side. The toilet will be just aft of the bunks with the lavatory just aft of the toilet. The plumbing will be a challenge but I'm fairly certain I have it figured out. I am trying to learn what I can about Laminate (Formica or Wilsonite) I would like to find some realistic wood-grain patterns but have not found what I like yet. I also have to learn how to apply it!!!

mnhoff
04-22-2013, 01:14 PM
Just wanted to touch on choice of high presuure laminates. Working with these products there is many choices. In my mind formica and arbourite are at the bottom of the scale of laminates. Moving upward my next choice would be wilsonart then two others I can not think of at this moment, then the best out there in my mind is Nevamar. Clearly the best. My choice in contact is Latex. Most of the time it comes in a green can and says covers 3 1/2 times more than other brands. It acctually does. It costs about $80.00 per gallon so most people shy away from it because other brands are only $30.00. If you have not purchased laminate before it comes in 4x8 and 5x12 sheets. Cuts easily on a table saw to get to approx size. Once glued into position my choice is a flush cut router bit with a roller bearing to keep it just slightly away from contact from other laminate ect. Finish edge with a fine bastard file then a wood block with 120 garnet paper.

MrE
04-22-2013, 01:29 PM
I had no clue that there was that big of a difference in quality. I went with WilsonArt, mainly because they had a large assortment of samples at Home Depot and I was able find a sample that matched what I already have installed. I was able to check with natural, incandescent and fluorescent light to make sure it was a good match. Nevamar has a great selection online, but I'm not real confident that my computer monitor is color accurate.

NewellCrazy
04-22-2013, 03:09 PM
Looking Good Dean, Keep up the hard work and those pictures coming :thumbup: :thumbsup: Progress is a beautiful sight.

Neweller
04-22-2013, 05:35 PM
What a great project started here. This one will definitely be excited to follow along with what Keith has going. Way to go Dean and I like your little helper too. Reminds me of little grandson Seth who is 7.

Mike, that is great information on the laminates and I will reference this for when I start my next laminate project. I have only used the scoring and router methods to cut the stuff, do you use a fine tooth blade with a CZ insert on the table saw? And is there any lifting problems do to the material being so thin while cutting it on a table saw or maybe raising the saw blade way up might work well enough?

1993Newell
04-22-2013, 05:58 PM
Always nice to have a helper. I wish I still had the energy that young little people have. :laugh:

rellick
04-23-2013, 12:42 AM
Just wanted to touch on choice of high presuure laminates. Working with these products there is many choices. In my mind formica and arbourite are at the bottom of the scale of laminates. Moving upward my next choice would be wilsonart then two others I can not think of at this moment, then the best out there in my mind is Nevamar. Clearly the best. My choice in contact is Latex. Most of the time it comes in a green can and says covers 3 1/2 times more than other brands. It acctually does. It costs about $80.00 per gallon so most people shy away from it because other brands are only $30.00. If you have not purchased laminate before it comes in 4x8 and 5x12 sheets. Cuts easily on a table saw to get to approx size. Once glued into position my choice is a flush cut router bit with a roller bearing to keep it just slightly away from contact from other laminate ect. Finish edge with a fine bastard file then a wood block with 120 garnet paper.
So does this stuff bend easy? or do you have to use a heat gun or something?

MrE
04-23-2013, 12:50 AM
They ship it rolled up, but not that tight a roll, and it springs flat when you cut the string. If I was going to attempt a curve I would definitely use a heat gun.

mnhoff
04-23-2013, 01:05 AM
The other laminate I was thinking of earlier is Pionite. Excelllant upper end laminate. The latex glue I use is Lepages 3X the coverage. As to the cutting Ken I tossed the old curved carbide laminate knife out the door 10 years ago. The table saw works great. Normally I use any meamine blade or any good quality 40 to 60 tooth 10" blade. Normally keeping the blade no higher than a 1/2 inch above the surface. I have a huge table around mine keeping the entire sheet flat but if you don't have this option a good helper is perfect. I will normally mark my area with a black marker, then free hand the cut, or if using the fence make sure to add a 1/4" or 1/2 inch strip of plywood against fence so the laminate does not slide under fence when the pass is made causing grief. Yes laminate does bend very easy as some of us know with the curved radius areas in our own upper cabinets in our coachs.

rellick
04-23-2013, 02:32 AM
Does anyone use upholstery marine type vinyl or cloth for panelling?

Neweller
04-23-2013, 02:58 AM
Keith, because it comes in wider rolls it will cover from floor to ceiling. I have some pictures here on the site on how I did the walls.

HoosierDaddy
04-23-2013, 02:59 AM
The bunk areas and soffits on my 93 had a very nice suede material over a 1/4" layer of foam.

rellick
04-23-2013, 03:10 AM
The bunk areas and soffits on my 93 had a very nice suede material over a 1/4" layer of foam.
I think that would really add to the looks and the feel of and interior, even for a contrast color with a laminate. Like maybe a 3 or 4 inch strip around a window, or a strip or panel above a dinette or a sofa,

Charlotte Rosita
04-24-2013, 06:25 PM
HoosierDaddy I will be following your remodel. God Bless your grandson for helping his Grandpa, What a cutie pie! :)

The Newell
05-19-2013, 07:54 PM
Anymore updates Dean? I have been following your posts on your remodel progress since you started it.

Joseph

HoosierDaddy
05-19-2013, 09:37 PM
I am reworking one of the walls that I removed. I have shortened it and added a radiused end. I have a pic but am having trouble getting it to upload. I was able to order the exact Wilsonart color to match what Newell installed in 1993.

Neweller
05-19-2013, 11:46 PM
Luckily Dean your color doesn't have the wood grain look, I think that is where most of us have problems matching up laminate surfaces. Also great to know that Wilsonart makes the same color grey as Formica with many Newell having that as a popular choice.

HoosierDaddy
05-20-2013, 12:39 AM
Actually the build order for my coach specified Wilsonart!!4123

Neweller
05-20-2013, 12:55 AM
So the magic continues! :thumbup: Well that actually a good thing Dean, Wisonart is supposedly a better product now days compared to Formica. So we now know that Newell has used both of those brands. I'm sure they will use whatever brand a customer specifies or a certain color that only a particular manufacturer makes.

NewellCrazy
05-20-2013, 03:49 PM
We all enjoy viewing progress, Dean the more pictures you share the better so keep them coming.

Sean

speedingsport
05-20-2013, 04:06 PM
Right on Dean! Keep the updates coming we all enjoy following along.

stewart33
05-20-2013, 04:51 PM
Looking good I bet you can't wait to put the new walls in. When that happens it will come together fairly quick. I'm following your progress also I look forward to seeing the end result.

HoosierDaddy
07-09-2013, 02:37 AM
43884389I have not been happy with the performance of the A/C in the salon area. Since I had everything apart I decided to take some advice from one of my online Newell friends and extended the outlet duct that dumped into the cove by adding additional 4" metal ducting. You can see the partition that Newell installed just aft of the driver/passenger seats. I drilled a 4" hole through that so that the air could flow as far forward as possible. I have removed the fluorescent cove lights. I will be installing LED lights in the cove. My friend ,Dave is applying the contact cement to the curved wall that we made. After the Wilsonart laminate is applied we will install it between the kitchen counter and the pantry. I completed the water plumbing and the reworking of the mid-mounted heat/ A/C this evening . I will try to send more pics...It takes me a fair amount of time to upload.....My computer skills are limited.

rellick
07-09-2013, 02:52 AM
Hey nice to see!! you will have a real nice coach when your finished. All your hard work will pay off when you finally hit the open road with it!!:thumbsup:Keep the pictures coming!!

Wheeler
07-09-2013, 10:22 PM
Thanks for sharing pictures. Like Keith said keep'em coming! :thumbsup:

Nara Queen
07-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Wow it's going to be a whole new coach when you are done. :(y):

NEWELLWIZARD
07-12-2013, 03:40 PM
:thumbup: Does your friend Dave own a coach too?

HoosierDaddy
07-12-2013, 10:39 PM
Dave doesn't own a coach. We are both into old cars etc. He is a pastor and a carpenter. He helps me with our building projects on our Bed and Breakfast as well as our rental houses. I asked him to help me on the Newell since I am trying to get it finished enough to use it a bit before winter.

bigcatwally
07-13-2013, 04:11 AM
:thumbup: Sounds like your coach is coming right along. Thank God for good help. :)

jWolfe
07-13-2013, 02:38 PM
Look forward to seeing the finished remodel. :thumbup:

Neweller
07-14-2013, 02:24 AM
Sounds like it's coming along nicely there Dean. Glad you are getting some needed help. Let us know if there is every anything we can do around here for you. Sure nice to hear positive information when it comes to upgrades and such.

Randy J
07-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Dean be sure to share some pictures of the after magic. :thumbsup:

HoosierDaddy
10-21-2013, 01:18 PM
I was having trouble uploading pics...I finally tried Google Chrome instead of my old faithful IE browser. Here are a couple before and after pics of the kitchen cupboard area. You can see the curved wall that we built just aft of the cupboard area.
My original plan was to relocate the fridge to just aft of cupboard. I decided not to move the fridge. I built a pantry area there. I could move fridge there in the future. More likely I will add a washer/dryer into that area.
You can also see the new window we installed. That will be just above the kitchen sink.
The white "boxes" on the floor under the cupboard are the electric heaters. The A/C evaporator and air blower is under the coach floor in the basement. The air blows up through the floor , then through the heater boxes and on to the outlet. When it calls for heat the evaporator is disabled and the coils in the heater box is energized. All of these components had to be relocated since the cupboard is narrower than the bunks that were originally in this spot.

jWolfe
10-21-2013, 02:15 PM
Dean it's looking real nice. When you are done I'm sure it's going to be spectacular. I look forward to seeing it when it's finished. Thanks for coming on to share with us a update.

HoosierDaddy
12-02-2013, 11:04 PM
Here's an update. You can see the solid surface counter-top. I am using a shiny black embossed laminate on the cupboard front. The microwave cabinet is moved from the driver side to the passenger side. I had to cut and modify it so that it fits to the angle of the ceiling. I have also included a pic of the neo-angle shower.

I have included a "before" pic.

rellick
12-02-2013, 11:25 PM
It looks like its coming along nicely!
Are you planning on doing the flooring soon? I really like the engineered hardwood Ernie Eckleberg installs. Very nice stuff.
Can wait to see more progress pics then the finished ones!!

HoosierDaddy
12-03-2013, 12:19 AM
I am undecided about the floor. I would like an art deco design. Maybe octagon tile ( train station etc)in the bathroom. I'm not wild about installing tile so I have been searching for a laminate that would have an art deco theme. I have considered a dark wood laminate in the kitchen and salon. Where is Ernie located?

rellick
12-03-2013, 12:59 AM
Ernie is in weatherford tx. He can definitely point you in the right direction. I think he is booked up for a while http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/erniesremodelingandrepair/info