PDA

View Full Version : 96 Update Project almost done!!

Dave-n-Marjorie
04-30-2013, 01:53 AM
Well, our 96 project is almost done!! We purchased coach 423 six months ago from the original owners family. He was famous NASCAR driver in the 70's Dick Brooks and this was his third Newell. It is a 470 bath and a half model with all service records and manuals since new. Tires and all batteries are 2010. We have gone through it from front to back. There have been no surprises and I am under budget. Here is a brief description of the update/remodel.

Outside coach, all new marker lights, wax/compound entire coach, polish wheels.

Engine 65,000 miles, gen 3,300 hrs. Tested oil and coolant in both. Perfect results! Replaced all filters belts, hoses, oil changes on both. On a 2k mile trip I got 7.8mpg at 70mph. Turbo was replaced in 2011 at DD.

Level system - a few new solenoid o-rings so auto level works perfect.

A/C - dash is ice cold, pulled out both basement units, cleaned, and new control boards. They now work like new.

Aqua Hot - replaced about $1,500 worth of parts, all major ones, fuel pump, coil, thermostats, etc...Works perfect.

Amana fridge, put in brand new compressor and evaporator fan. Works like new.
Microwave, outside Jenair grill, two rack dishwasher, outside fridge and stove-top were hardly used and work perfect. Inverter was replaced in 2011.

Interior remodel - all carpet in coach taken up and installed hand scraped black bamboo hardwood flooring in living-room and bedroom. Wallpapered entire coach with raised textured bamboo. New custom blinds on all windows, woven bamboo Roman with 100% blackout. New residential dining room table and chairs. 2 new leather barrel chairs for living room. Refinished cast iron sink. New custom bedding, sheets, mattress pad, comforter and blankets for that darn round king size bed.

Audio/video - Dash installed Kenwood flat screen GPS/XM stereo hooked to all 6 RV ads speakers. 32" led TV in Lr, 24" led in bedroom and 32" led outside. New Blue ray dvd. xbox 360 hooked to front tv and all speakers, HD DVR installed. All TVs work with all coach speakers. Installed new low profile in motion KVH satellite. Pile driver FM DVD sound bar in outside entertainment center hooked to outside TV.

Towing - installed blue ox triple hitch welded. Installed blue ox sport carrier one golf cart carrier so we can take our low speed licensed vehicle along with our tow car (fiat 500).

Well, that's about it for now. Feel free to ask any questions, pricing etc...happy to share. I will post some pics on the next one.

Thanks,
Dave

Will Procter
04-30-2013, 01:59 AM
Dave,

Thanks for sharing, By the sounds of it you're doing some major preventative maintenance which is great. What was your upgrades & repairs budget and how did you fair?

Great mileage by the way when you take into account your speed,

Will

Dave-n-Marjorie
04-30-2013, 02:16 AM

speedingsport
04-30-2013, 02:23 AM
High Five! :clap2: Beautifully done! All done under budget too? That's incredible! You will be living in luxury now.

Dave-n-Marjorie
04-30-2013, 02:26 AM

Neweller
04-30-2013, 02:29 AM
Friends, this is downright gorgeous!!!! You two know what the "WOW" factor is. My wife being an interior designer just loves everything you have done. :thumbup: We both just love the scraped bamboo flooring, nothing like going with the real thing. What a fantastic idea for a dining table. :thumbsup: You have gotten your luxury lifestyle set for jettison. We're are talking the splash affect here. Man, I'm just warming up here. Color choices are Sweeeeeeeeeeetttttt!!!!!!!!!

Leeann J
04-30-2013, 02:30 AM
Oh my! Way to go!!!! You have really made this coach shine. After seeing everyone doing remodel work on their coaches makes me want to do it. You can really tell you put the some time and hard work into the updates. I love the black bamboo flooring, love all the colors. What is it that you did to refinish the cast iron sink? I see some lovely furry friends on the bed. Will they be traveling along inside the coach with you? Congratulations on such a beautiful job! :love:

Newell Boss
04-30-2013, 02:33 AM
That's what I call stunning!!! I find myself gravitating towards your flooring. What type/brand flooring is installed in your coach?

NEWELLWIZARD
04-30-2013, 02:45 AM
For a 1996 Newell with these new and improved updates you've done a number on her inside and out. I say it's worthy of an Oscar! Impressive job... impressive job friends! :party: That's what the luxury coach lifestyle is all about. You will be giving many inspiration with what you have done. Awesome!!!

Dave-n-Marjorie
04-30-2013, 02:45 AM
Thanks Will. Total budget was about $20k for EVERYTHING including golf cart hitch and lift. Alot of work I had done professionally. I am still under budget a little but not much. I measured the mpg on the silverleaf and doing basic math on fill ups. It was a flat run from HHI to New Orleans 1,600 miles. I called my detriot diesel guy and he said since it has a brand new turbo installed, sometimes they can tweak it for better mileage. Oh yes, and that was also running the generator the entire driving time too!!!!

Dave,

Thanks for sharing, By the sounds of it you're doing some major preventative maintenance which is great. What was your upgrades & repairs budget and how did you fair?

Great mileage by the way when you take into account your speed,

Will

Dave-n-Marjorie
04-30-2013, 02:51 AM
Thank you. I have a few $$$ left but not much!! LOL

High Five! :clap2: Beautifully done! All done under budget too? That's incredible! You will be living in luxury now.

Dave-n-Marjorie
04-30-2013, 02:57 AM
Thanks so much Ken! Marjorie did all the color choices and design decor. She is a realtor and we wanted to make it our own. We tried to stick with the comtemporary theme, and I did not want to cheap out on the floors. The rounded transitions are all custom milled wood. The dining table was just found by luck searching "comtemporary dinette" on the internet. It was some german mfg and about $500 but is solid wood and rounded.

Friends, this is downright gorgeous!!!! You two know what the "WOW" factor is. My wife being an interior designer just loves everything you have done. :thumbup: We both just love the scraped bamboo flooring, nothing like going with the real thing. What a fantastic idea for a dining table. :thumbsup: You have gotten your luxury lifestyle set for jettison. We're are talking the splash affect here. Man, I'm just warming up here. Color choices are Sweeeeeeeeeeetttttt!!!!!!!!!

Dave-n-Marjorie
04-30-2013, 03:11 AM
Hi Leeann,
Thanks so much. The sink was refinished locally on Hilton Head Island for $200. I had to take it out myself and be without it for 3 days but it was worth it. It was crazy hard to find pure black hand scraped bamboo but we had to match the blue pearl granite as best we could. The cats, Gus and Angel are our babies and go with us everywhere. They usually sit on the dashboard when we are driving.
Thanks for the compliments.
Dave

Oh my! Way to go!!!! You have really made this coach shine. After seeing everyone doing remodel work on their coaches makes me want to do it. You can really tell you put the some time and hard work into the updates. I love the black bamboo flooring, love all the colors. What is it that you did to refinish the cast iron sink? I see some lovely furry friends on the bed. Will they be traveling along inside the coach with you? Congratulations on such a beautiful job! :love:

Charlotte Rosita
04-30-2013, 03:12 AM
I'm in awe like everyone else. The interior updates are outstanding! We are getting ready to do some major interior updates to our coach this year. You have given your coach a design that is fresh, clean, inviting and modern. Can you share with us where you purchased the table and chairs? :thumbsup:

ccjohnson
04-30-2013, 02:14 PM
We both love what you have done with your coach. It's beautiful! Glad to see someone that realizes the value of customizing an older no slide coach to just the way you want it!

Neweller
04-30-2013, 02:24 PM
Again, what a great job you two pulled off. The family and I had been wondering how you were coming along with this coach since you purchased it last year. Very refreshing to see these types of updates going on around here. Between you guys, ccjohnson, rellick and all the dialog we have had going on around here with others continues to give many of us great inspiration as what can really be done to our beloved coaches and without breaking the bank.

Thank you for sharing.

STUNNING COACH
04-30-2013, 03:40 PM
Well done folks! From what I remember this coaches interior was mostly all white and the color arrangement has really brought this beauty to life.

NewellCrazy
04-30-2013, 03:46 PM
Again, what a great job you two pulled off. The family and I had been wondering how you were coming along with this coach since you purchased it last year. Very refreshing to see these types of updates going on around here. Between you guys, ccjohnson, rellick and all the dialog we have had going on around here with others continues to give many of us great inspiration as what can really be done to our beloved coaches and without breaking the bank.

Thank you for sharing.

:dito: I agree with Ken, You guys both have done outstanding jobs with your recent interior updates and I hope others will follow in your footsteps once they see the potential these coaches have when they are treated right with a little TLC.

Looks Fantastic Dave-n-Marjorie,

Sean

Dave-n-Marjorie
04-30-2013, 03:54 PM
Thanks so much Newell Boss. The flooring was done locally on Hilton Head Island by a company that does multi million $ homes. I believe it was around $8 a foot. The installer has done flooring for 30 years, and quoted 3 days from start to finish. It took him two weeks!!! Everything is nailed and glued and we have rounded corners everywhere so that took the longest to make perfect. He said the next bus he does he is going to charge double. They did stick to their word and only charged us the quoted price, I am sure they lost money on this one.
Thanks,
Dave

That's what I call stunning!!! I find myself gravitating towards your flooring. What type/brand flooring is installed in your coach?

Dave-n-Marjorie
04-30-2013, 04:01 PM
Thanks Mike and Amy. We are very proud of it and I wanted to wait till we were done to post about it. We looked at this coach like a blank canvas, it has the floorplan we loved, we just had to make it our own. Usually I go the cheaper route, but when it came to upgrading this coach, we spared no expense and wanted the best of everything. The Newell is worthy of that in my opinion.

For a 1996 Newell with these new and improved updates you've done a number on her inside and out. I say it's worthy of an Oscar! Impressive job... impressive job friends! :party: That's what the luxury coach lifestyle is all about. You will be giving many inspiration with what you have done. Awesome!!!

Cheri Smith
04-30-2013, 04:12 PM
Wow. Speechless. Fantastic job! Thanks for sharing guys! :thumbsup:

Dave-n-Marjorie
04-30-2013, 04:15 PM
Thanks so much Charlotte Rosita. The contemporary dining room table is "SEI ANGELO HOME SPHERES". If you google that, you will find lots of people who carry it. We bought it new from amazon under $500. It is around 30" high and 30" diameter. The suede dining chairs are from world market $200 each, and color match our living room leather barrell chairs.
Thanks,
Dave

I'm in awe like everyone else. The interior updates are outstanding! We are getting ready to do some major interior updates to our coach this year. You have given your coach a design that is fresh, clean, inviting and modern. Can you share with us where you purchased the table and chairs? :thumbsup:

Dave-n-Marjorie
04-30-2013, 04:22 PM
Thanks Clint and Fran. When we looked at the potential of this coach plus the cost of updating, it was still less money than a 5 year old gas coach with a couple slides or a 10 year old fiberglass diesel with a couple slides. It was a no brainer!!! The trick was finding the EXACT floorplan we wanted, bath and a half, passenger side dinette, raised roof, ect....The low miles, one owner, and other things were just a bonus.

We both love what you have done with your coach. It's beautiful! Glad to see someone that realizes the value of customizing an older no slide coach to just the way you want it!

Dave-n-Marjorie
04-30-2013, 04:36 PM
Thanks Ken! I know you and some others saw this coach about the same time as I did and it motivated me to drive up that night and pay for it on the spot first thing the next morning even though we already had a 40' 03 newmar mountain aire diesel pusher with two slides. The coach really didnt need any updating as the carpet was in great shape and most things were working fine. We just basically said, how much would we pay for a newell that is exactly what we want, neutral colors, raised roof, one owner, bath and a half, low miles, and then update everything to make it current and our own. I would suggest this to anyone, if you can find a well kept newell with a floorplan you like, think of it as a blank canvas as everything else can be redone.

Thank you for sharing.

Dave-n-Marjorie
04-30-2013, 04:39 PM
Yes, it was totally neutral with off white carpet, the standard newell light wallpaper, and the alum mini blinds with off white curtains. This coach just needed some color!! LOL

Well done folks! From what I remember this coaches interior was mostly all white and the color arrangement has really brought this beauty to life.

Dave-n-Marjorie
04-30-2013, 04:49 PM
Thanks Sean! You called it right on the spot. Newells like this have a ton of potential!! Heck, I would have bought this one if it would have had 165k miles, 10k hours on gen, and 5 owners. All that matters is the core of the coach and everything else can be fixed and updated.

:dito: I agree with Ken, You guys both have done outstanding jobs with your recent interior updates and I hope others will follow in your footsteps once they see the potential these coaches have when they are treated right with a little TLC.

Looks Fantastic Dave-n-Marjorie,

Sean

Dave-n-Marjorie
04-30-2013, 04:50 PM
Thanks Cheri!

Wow. Speechless. Fantastic job! Thanks for sharing guys! :thumbsup:

JustDustin
04-30-2013, 05:55 PM
Wow! What a stunner!:thumbsup:

Do you have before and during photos to share as well? I know many folks myself included would love to see more if you have more to share.

It's nice when all appliances are like new/hardly used. That saves a bit of cash so you could use the money it would have cost to replace or upgrade towards something else. Just shows you Newell pretty much puts the BEST appliances in them that you can get and they are brands that last!

Again Congrats on the new to you coach and for making it "BRAND NEW" to you with this stunning renovation.

folivier
04-30-2013, 06:31 PM
Just goes to show you that advertising works. Or rather NOT advertising doesn't work!
I saw this one a while back, emailed a few times, tried calling. Finally after a few months got an email and was able to talk to someone who was helping the owner sell it. It belonged to a Honda dealership owner if I remember correctly.
Glad it worked out for you. We hadn't sold the house yet so I wasn't quite ready to buy. Worked out ok for us though, we really love the '98.
But why the heck doesn't a car dealer know how to market a coach? If it was in the condition you say it was, for a 1 owner, it probably could have sold for more.
Your coach looks great with the updates. Hope we can cross paths somewhere.

Dave-n-Marjorie
04-30-2013, 06:39 PM
Hi Dustin, I do have before pics somewhere but not on this computer. I will make sure to post some. The appliances never scared me at all, as they still make parts for all the high end stuff. I know people who got rid of their amanas and spent $2k on a new fridge, and all they needed was a $300 compressor. I also wanted to keep the same "built in look" that the amanas have. The thing that got me is the microwave, it looked brand new but was dated 96. Sure enough, was hardly used. I mean who doesnt use a microwave these days?

Wow! What a stunner!:thumbsup:

Do you have before and during photos to share as well? I know many folks myself included would love to see more if you have more to share.

It's nice when all appliances are like new/hardly used. That saves a bit of cash so you could use the money it would have cost to replace or upgrade towards something else. Just shows you Newell pretty much puts the BEST appliances in them that you can get and they are brands that last!

Again Congrats on the new to you coach and for making it "BRAND NEW" to you with this stunning renovation.

Neweller
04-30-2013, 06:39 PM
Hey Dave, is our friend Robert still looking for a Newell or did he find one yet? I haven't been in touch with him for a couple of months and thought maybe you had spoken with him since.

Your most recent post above, reminded me about commenting on the Amana, that was a great way to go getting to keep the fridge, not hassling with removing and replacing the thing like many others have had to contend with. I have learned the same lesson the hard way and will go this route next time the chance arises. Those are nice fridges just the way they are.

jWolfe
04-30-2013, 07:15 PM
Dave the coach looks awesome. When you step inside you probably can't stop smiling. Any plans for a future exterior makeover too (paint)?

Dave-n-Marjorie
04-30-2013, 07:35 PM
Hi Forest and Cindy. Its a funny story about this coach and how it was sold. The owner is famous nascar driver Dick Brooks and owned about 16 car dealerships like honda, acura, ect...in the southeast along with 8 hilton garden inns. He was very wealthy, had a private plane and the coach was serviced at Newell annually along with DD and other places. I believe he passed away about 5 years ago and his daughter and son in law kept the coach to use with their kids. They used it three or four times a year and kept it in the hangar. Last year, they decided to sell the hangar and stored it as his honda dealership. The son in law was really pushing the daughter to sell it and she finally said yes. They listed it for $149k on manheim OVE for car and rv dealers and one other website. No ebay, no rv trader, just trying to sell it like dealers wholesale their cars.

The phone didnt ring much so they lowered it under 100k. The phone rang off the hook but they really couldnt answer many technical questions and no one walked in the door. Then they kept using it in between with the kids. Before I called him, he said a few people were "serious buyers" but never showed up. They were at the point to just run it through the manheim rv auction in south carolina and as they told me on the phone, no tirekickers, only check writers. We agreed to be there at 8am with our checkbook and if it was as described make an offer. I ended up offering 30% less than asking price as we wanted to update it, and fix fridge and aquahot and some other little things. I felt comfortable as I was on the phone with Newell going through it and they basically said I could part it out and make a profit. It was also contingent on the fluids being tested. Since I am in the RV business, I know what to look for and am very familiar with Newells front to back.

Its funny how things work out, I could have flipped it two weeks later for $40k+ profit, but decided against as when I went through the coach front to back realizing what I had and besides, when will another one of these come across for me in this condition and floorplan. If they would have just marketed like a RV and not a car, they would have made $50k more and I would have never had a chance to have this wonderful coach.

RVs are depreciating assets, this was my lucky chance to buy what I wanted, fully update it, and hopefully in a few years if we decide to quit rving, sell it for what we have into it. Thats a rare thing in this market for sure. Guess it was just meant to be LOL.
Thanks,
Dave

Just goes to show you that advertising works. Or rather NOT advertising doesn't work!
I saw this one a while back, emailed a few times, tried calling. Finally after a few months got an email and was able to talk to someone who was helping the owner sell it. It belonged to a Honda dealership owner if I remember correctly.
Glad it worked out for you. We hadn't sold the house yet so I wasn't quite ready to buy. Worked out ok for us though, we really love the '98.
But why the heck doesn't a car dealer know how to market a coach? If it was in the condition you say it was, for a 1 owner, it probably could have sold for more.
Your coach looks great with the updates. Hope we can cross paths somewhere.

Dave-n-Marjorie
04-30-2013, 07:51 PM
Robert ended up buying a 08 signature 45' quad for $175k. Couldnt find a newell that he liked. Yes, all the appliances can be fixed, if someone says no, I get someone else LOL. I like the consistency of how the kitchen is, always like that built in look.

Hey Dave, is our friend Robert still looking for a Newell or did he find one yet? I haven't been in touch with him for a couple of months and thought maybe you had spoken with him since.

Your most recent post above, reminded me about commenting on the Amana, that was a great way to go getting to keep the fridge, not hassling with removing and replacing the thing like many others have had to contend with. I have learned the same lesson the hard way and will go this route next time the chance arises. Those are nice fridges just the way they are.

Dave-n-Marjorie
04-30-2013, 07:54 PM
Hi Jay, the outside has one dent on the crown where he hit the hangar door but I probably wont fix that as it is so minor. Since the coach was kept indoors almost all its life and only has 65k miles, it really doesnt need anything done on outside. I would love to repaint the black stripe, blue to match our towcar but wife says no!!! LOL

Dave the coach looks awesome. When you step inside you probably can't stop smiling. Any plans for a future exterior makeover too (paint)?

Dave-n-Marjorie
04-30-2013, 08:08 PM
Here are some pics of the fiat tow car, golf cart and lift and how I redid the outside entertainment. I chopped the jenn-air grill box as alot of it was wasted space, and put a 32" led tv on a swing arm. The soundbar is at the bottom and also has a fm radio and plays dvds and cds.

stewart33
04-30-2013, 09:20 PM
I love everything about your makeover. Everything!!! Beautiful Newell coach! You hooked it up and looks like you are taking great advantage of the storage bay. The wife likes the zebra print and teal. Pops of color and print. Looks like the cats are cozy and modeling the new bedding.

folivier
04-30-2013, 10:30 PM
Wow, what a great story Dave! And you've taken a great find and made it even better by customizing the interior.
Their loss and your gain.

brwint
05-01-2013, 02:05 AM
We were one of the tire kickers at twice the price. If it would have been available for under a $100k at that time I would have cut the check. I agree with all the others and their positive comments, it looks great. It is exactly what we are looking for as new as we can fined with 60 series and NO slides. Love the passenger side dinette.

rellick
05-01-2013, 04:08 AM
Great Job, and great taste, I really appreciate when people build or rebuild something to personalize it for themselves. The best things in my opinion are how built custom and they are not bought off of a production line. You have a one of a kind coach and I'm sure you will enjoy it for years to come

Gone Busing
05-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Very nice updates. The wife and I have been patiently waiting to acquire our first Newell and when we see a coach done with this kind of pizazz it really gives one the bug. Shannon says, what a cute little car and even the golf cart has a rumble seat.:thumbup:

1993Newell
05-01-2013, 03:00 PM
Mighty fine job folks. It looks fantastic! :thumbsup:

Billy Bussman
05-02-2013, 01:17 AM
I must agree here this came out classy.

Dave-n-Marjorie
05-02-2013, 04:22 PM
Thanks Brett. I know the son in law was getting many calls and emails a day when he lowered price and was getting frustrated no one was visiting the coach or writing a deposit to hold it. He was used to the car business when people buy on impulse after a 5 minute conversation.

You are soooo right about the passenger side dinette!!!!!!! I dont think anyone noticed it!!! Its one of the first ones I have every seen and was on our "must have" list, but I explained to my wife that PS dinettes are so rare, and free standing dinettes are too, then you ad the bath and a half floorplan, raised roof, series 60, and neutral colors, that we would have to give things up or we will never EVER get one. Low and behold....this one has everything on our wish list and so much more like the outside jennaire grill and entertainment and non Booth dinette. We were just Lucky!

I think everyone is so "stuck" on Newell pricing, they forget for a little more $$$ to upgrade it, they could have their dream coach. Its not like these are production coaches where you can wait till the next one comes around cus with a Newell it probably never will.

In my option, Newells are WAY WAYYYY under priced. For the right floorplan, options, condition, and how the coach was used and owned I would have paid WAYYY more than most people on here say they are worth. To be honest, after I spent about three hours in the coach, going through it, and talking with Newell with a few questions, I would have paid $100k in the condition it was in, knowing that for $10k or $20k I could have my dream Newell for $110 - $120k.

In a few years when Marjorie and I are done full timing in our Newell around the USA, I will sell it for $100k+ and I know I'll get it, not from someone waiting for a "deal", but from someone that recognizes that if they dont buy it, someone else will and they might not ever get the Newell they want.

Hopefully, to some of you reading that are waiting for a "super deal" on a Newell, just remember there might not be one and each day that goes by, you could be living the Newell life in a coach you love and have made you own instead of "waiting"........
Thanks,
Dave

We were one of the tire kickers at twice the price. If it would have been available for under a $100k at that time I would have cut the check. I agree with all the others and their positive comments, it looks great. It is exactly what we are looking for as new as we can fined with 60 series and NO slides. Love the passenger side dinette.

FJGuard
05-02-2013, 04:59 PM
Wow looks great Dave. The white interior with the dark bamboo flooring, amazing transformation. How do you like towing the little fiat?<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->

Dave-n-Marjorie
05-06-2013, 01:53 AM
The Fiat tows GREAT! Getting 41mpg hwy and 37 city. Its a sport model and I even did the Roadmaster baseplate install myself. No fuses to pull, just put it in neutral and go.

Wow looks great Dave. The white interior with the dark bamboo flooring, amazing transformation. How do you like towing the little fiat?

1993Newell
05-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Dave at 41mpg that little Fiat is impressive. Thumbs up :thumbsup: for fuel savings.

coachman
07-23-2013, 10:25 PM
Very nice coach Dave-n-Margorie! What is the difference in height in a regular newell and one with a raised roof? I'm 6'2. Would I be able to stand up in a regular Newell?

Dave-n-Marjorie
07-24-2013, 05:28 AM
Thank you coachman! Our ceiling height is 84". Not sure about non raised roofs, but I would guess 78" or 80". BTW the bunks coach look awesome and its a great price. Newells like these are almost impossible to find and the update possibillities are endless.......

Very nice coach Dave-n-Margorie! What is the difference in height in a regular newell and one with a raised roof? I'm 6'2. Would I be able to stand up in a regular Newell?

stewart33
07-24-2013, 12:09 PM
Amen. :amen:

Neweller
07-24-2013, 05:08 PM
Dave is real close as the ones I have measured of like years seem to be right at 79" so that would give you about 7" to spare. Of course where the bunks are, you will have a difference but should be fine. Out of the dozens of Newell's I have been in, I have only seen a couple that seemed to have shorter roofs and I'm not even sure why they were built? Many Newell owners I have met are over 6 foot and don't seem to have a problem. I guess that would be a "pro" for the basement air as well.

77newell
07-25-2013, 03:48 PM
Dave-n-Marjorie: What a marvelous job you have done in both getting the coach you wanted and then dressing it up to suit you in grand style.

Question about the wallpapering job. We are thinking of updating ours in the 93 coach and were wondering if you first had to strip off the old or were able to just paper it over?

Dave-n-Marjorie
07-26-2013, 05:53 AM
Papered right over it and worked out well. We did pick an expensive bamboo wallpaper but I think it would work with any kind. Thanks for the compliment, we are very proud of this Newell.

Dave-n-Marjorie: What a marvelous job you have done in both getting the coach you wanted and then dressing it up to suit you in grand style.

Question about the wallpapering job. We are thinking of updating ours in the 93 coach and were wondering if you first had to strip off the old or were able to just paper it over?

Neweller
07-26-2013, 01:54 PM
D-n-M, sounds like you two are really enjoying the works of your talents right now in that beautiful coach. Glad all is well on the voyage! :cool:

RoDesign
07-26-2013, 02:24 PM

Hi Jon and Alie here is a link to a thread I just created for you. :)

http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/forum/interior-works/5692-dress-up-your-motorcoach-interior-walls-fabric-wallpaper.html#post36587