PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever added a roof deck to their coach? Ideas please?

JetHot
05-05-2013, 03:00 AM
I'm looking at a few different coaches to upgrad to. I'm told to buy a wanderlodge if I want a roof deck and that newell won't support it but I have seen one on a newell at the races few years ago.

Is there a way to do this? Has anyone around here seen or no of one that's been done? Looking for ideas.

jack14r
05-05-2013, 12:23 PM
I have seen a few Liberty's with them,they are all stainless steel,I think that they have only been on the XLII because of height.

77newell
05-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Hey Jethot: I have not seen a Newell with a roof deck and I certainly wouldn't stand on my 77 roof for other than maintenance. However, given the strong structure of the Newell coaches I believe it is possible to install a roof deck.

Here is how I would approach it from a structural perspective. I would intend to use aluminum to minimize weight. I would design a series of saddles to sit directly on top of the side-to-side support structure of the roof. Depending on the spacing of those structures I might use every other one. I would attach the saddles to the roof using structural adhesives to eliminate holes that could leak and to spread the load as evenly as possible across the structure. I would then lay the decking on top of the saddles using the lightest decking I could that would support the weight. There would have to be some diagonal bracing from the top of one saddle to the bottom of the next to prevent racking of the whole thing. I would design access (ladder) so that its loads are supported by the ground and minimize loads on the coach. I would be thinking of removable hand rails with some way to get them safely up from and down to the ground without damaging the coach in the process.

The whole issue is the balance between spreading the load to as many existing supports as possible while at the same time making the added structure as light as possible. The other consideration is to get the added loads mainly imposed as near to the existing vertical coach structure as possible . I believe this all can be done, it would be a fun project, and keeping it light and durable won't cost more than an arm or a leg but not both.

86loco
05-05-2013, 04:17 PM
It seems like I have seen at least 1 Newell with deck rails on the roof but I may be wrong it's been awhile. Interesting idea though but maybe that is why you see mostly Prevost with them. Surely a Wanderlodge can they were big on the roof rack thing. I would like to see a Newell with one too.

Neweller
05-05-2013, 05:28 PM
AMG, is this kind of what you are looking for or maybe along these lines? http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/forum/events-rallies-shows/5355-roof-deck-coach-prevost-star-coach-race-tours.html

NEWELLWIZARD
05-05-2013, 05:30 PM
No roof deck on our coach. Here is a 1990 Newell coach with a roof deck 4053

For all the pictures NewellShowcase.com Newell Coach Photo Gallery, Newell Coach Photo Showcase, Newell Motorhome Photos, Newell RV Photos, Newell Photo Gallery - 1990 Newell Coach Album 11 (http://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=422)

NewellCrazy
05-05-2013, 05:47 PM
Check this out:

Cheri Smith
05-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Off topic but lol @ the other woman. lol!

speedingsport
05-05-2013, 07:20 PM
I have always thought the Airstream Skydeck was pretty cool. Maybe someone could do this to their Newell?

afrench45
05-05-2013, 07:23 PM
If im not mistaken this 02' has one on it. I remember seeing this at the factory and it had the ladder attached to the back. If you look at the rear picture I believe thats part of it on top.
2002 Newell Newell - Incoming (http://lazydays.com/RVs/Inventory/Newell/Newell/WU43078)

Charlotte Rosita
05-05-2013, 08:36 PM
Andrew I don't see it but it could be my old age. ;) It looks like this coach has been used and abused. I'd like to say used and enjoyed but for a 2002 it doesn't look as well cared for as it could look.

Speedingsport that Airstream Skydeck is neat. I didn't know Airstream made an actual motorhome.

Cheri Smith I agree that coach Sean posted with "The Other Woman" made me giggle.

JetHot I don't think I would want to climb up on my coaches roof. But I can see why some would want to for a better view.

Newell Attack
05-05-2013, 08:53 PM
Carpet needs replaced and I'm sure it needs other upgrades depending on what there asking it could be a good deal for someone.

Jeff

bigcatwally
05-05-2013, 10:06 PM
I think they took roof deck literally don't you? lol!

77newell
05-06-2013, 02:19 PM
well gosh golly gee, somun stole my deck and now I knows exackly wher it went.

1993Newell
05-06-2013, 06:25 PM
well gosh golly gee, somun stole my deck and now I knows exackly wher it went.

LMAO! lol!

speedingsport
05-09-2013, 10:36 PM
Wally here's one for you! 4093

86loco
05-10-2013, 01:44 AM
The Airstream was an exceptional looking roof deck luxury coach. I have seen them around and very impressive. Just don't party too hard and fall off. Never heard of that happening but some people can get pretty crazy partying at an event.

Next thing you know we will have a roof deck contest around here.lol!

Neweller
05-10-2013, 04:18 AM
Actually, Newell has done quite a few roof decks over the years. You just don't see them that much unless you hang out the races or events where people really use them the most. If fact Skydeck Luxury Coach which Newell refers to them as, have been built with roof observation platforms beginning some 26 years ago.

Typically, Newell decks the roof with aluminum diamond plate, and the rails and ladder are fabricated out of stainless steel tubing by an experienced boat rail maker. Newell will not offer a system with rails that folds down onto the roof like the Skydeck because the Newell roofline is higher than units equipped with the Skydeck, and adding the Skydeck to a Newell would result in a coach being too tall. An additional factor is that many of the top motor racing venues prohibit watching events from the roofs of RVs in the infield, so Newell has experienced a decline in interest for roof observation decks.

Actually constructing a roof deck however entails basic metal fabrication. You can generally build the deck itself from aluminum, using diamond-plate for the decking. Also, finding a shop in your area to build the deck should not be all that difficult. To get a quality look, the preference would be to use stainless steel for the removable railings. Like I stated previously, Newell generally subcontracts the railings to a specialty shop that builds high quality stainless yacht and sailboat railings. There are many such facilities, although they are typically on either coast. Doing a recent search on google and yahoo I found other such company's who make stair systems throughout the inland states as well.