PDA

View Full Version : Possibility on upgrading Newell Coach brakes?

bigcatwally
05-07-2013, 03:27 AM
I have a 1979 Newell Coach with wedge brakes has anyone ever consider upgrading them or has already done it?

77newell
05-07-2013, 12:26 PM
My 77 still has them and they seem to work fine. I suspect the reason s-cam became the standard is the ease of adjustment when putting on lots of miles. I investigated the change and decided it wouldn't improve the braking performance and I wasn't having to adjust my brakes at all in the 10 years I've owned it so no gain there either.

If I were to make a change it would be to disc brakes since I believe they would increase stopping power and resist heat fade better. By using the Jake brake I have had no instances of brake fade so that issue is marginal for me.

MrE
05-07-2013, 02:36 PM
I had the wedge brakes replaced on my '73. I took it in to a shop to replace some broken wheel studs and they left one of the broken studs in when they bolted it back together. The brakes failed on a trip and I had to get them fixed on the road. The shop had problems getting all the parts they needed for the older wedge style so they replaced them with s-cams. I didn't notice any appreciable difference after, but the shop did tell me that they would be much easier to adjust.

rellick
08-15-2013, 03:04 PM
I had the wedge brakes replaced on my '73. I took it in to a shop to replace some broken wheel studs and they left one of the broken studs in when they bolted it back together. The brakes failed on a trip and I had to get them fixed on the road. The shop had problems getting all the parts they needed for the older wedge style so they replaced them with s-cams. I didn't notice any appreciable difference after, but the shop did tell me that they would be much easier to adjust.
Jon, was it a big job for them to upgrade your brakes to s-cams? I am thinking of doing this to mine but I think I will change out the entire suspension front and rear, mainly the same reasons you stated here and also one of the reasons I did my engine upgrade. I just hate the thought of travelling far from home and something happened where I was unable to easily get parts.

MrE
08-15-2013, 03:30 PM
If I remember correctly, it was basically just swapping parts. There were some pieces destroyed that aren't generally replaced during normal maintenance that they were not able to locate anywhere.

Neweller
08-15-2013, 05:38 PM
Nothing like breathing life into these classic's that missed the stage amongst the converter clan but in time should pick up steam in the recognition factor. I say bringing on the classic's! I'm dreaming of the day that folks really recognize these classics for what they truly are so some of us can get to cutting away at sides........shsh...........:behindsofa:...just don't say anything to the 2000 crowd..:bolt: