PDA

View Full Version : Filling Propane Tank

Scott Whitney
05-08-2013, 01:26 AM
Today I went and tried to get the propane tank filled again. We only got a couple gallons in, which is better than last time. Have any of you guys or gals changed the valve? I understand that sometimes the 80% fill rod gets stuck in the 80% position and won't allow propane into the tank.

Scott

prairieschooner
05-08-2013, 02:18 PM
Scott,
Are you going to the same place to try and fill it? and/or how do you know the level of the tank? Not so sure that we have an OPD Valve on our older tanks.
1st) When we were in Arizona this year I tried to get our tank filled and they couldn't get their fitting to seal and stated that ours was full. I went to another location where they had the correct fitting and no issues.
2nd) On our '82 there is a Gauge at the Dash and at the Tank itself. The Gauge at the Tank should be more reliable and can be replaced with very little expense, or maybe none if you could borrow one.

Newellin Thunder
05-09-2013, 01:58 AM
You can disconnect the hose when the tank is pretty much empty and it's a good idea to purge it with some Nitrogen or other readily available non-oxygen carrying gas (argon, CO2). This is best done by a professional, as the cost of a mistake is pretty high. When you disconnect the hose fitting and open the valve to vent all of the gas, an emergency valve will close, restricting the escape of propane.