PDA

View Full Version : Series 60 Low Engine Power

Will Procter
05-17-2013, 04:58 PM
after logging about 10k miles on the Newell, I have this problem that I need to address. First of all, the engine seems low on power at times. I have changed the fuel and air filters, and have not seen any improvement. The symptoms are at times, the engine will not build boost over 8lbs. This is very problematic on hills. Any suggestions on what the cause could be?

Will

Ron Skeen
05-17-2013, 05:28 PM
Charge air cooler. You can have the turbo pressure check at a Detroit dealer. They will pressurize the the system and it is a fairly simple deal.

NewellCrazy
05-17-2013, 05:49 PM
there is a possibility of the charge air cooler being cracked along one of the welded seams. There has been an issue with this in the past. When climbing hills do you happen to notice excessive smoke?

Archie T. Hogan
05-18-2013, 02:22 AM
keep an eye on your vacuum Gage and that will tell if you have a fuel problem or not. Clogged filter, collapsing fuel line, low fuel and not getting to the pickup when going up hill.......etc

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
05-18-2013, 02:57 PM
I have never had a diesel engine with a vacuum gauge.

Neweller
05-19-2013, 01:45 AM
Check for leaks around boots and on the pressure side of your turbo, several things can cause a lack of air. I know restrictive exhaust can cause this type of problem too. Low fuel pressure can cause the problem just like not enough air and too much fuel. But you would have excessive smoke. How many miles on this engine? How long since a full service?