PDA

View Full Version : engine starting

qcj
05-31-2013, 03:17 PM
I have a 99 Newell with s60 engine. It takes about 10 to 15 seconds to start after its been setting for several days. It is 80 to 85 degrees outside. After it cranks the next time the warm engine starts right off. Do I have a problem or is this normal? Before I had a Cummins and it started right off. Chappell

NewellCrazy
05-31-2013, 03:38 PM
Have you checked the check valve @ the back of the head on the fuel line? This will cause an extended engine crank time.

Sean

qcj
05-31-2013, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the reply Sean. No, I have not checked anything because I didn't know where to begin. I have not owned the coach but a couple of months and only noticed this the last short trip out after about 4 days at the park. When I started to crank it to come home, I didn't know if it was going to crank. Got home put it in storage about a week ago and this morning cranked it to see if was going to do the same thing and it did. This check valve, I don't know where it is, and when I find it what should I look for? Chappell

NewellCrazy
05-31-2013, 04:39 PM
Hi Chappell,

There are many options at this point with respect to your starting issue, One very common issue on a Detroit the check valve you will find it on the fuel line at the rear of the cly. head. What I am giving you here are other troubleshooting techniques If your mechanically inclined and lets say your Newell will not start. You can remove the fuel hose from the OUTLET on the fuel pump, does it squirt fuel while cranking? Any voltage LESS than 10V while cranking will NOT allow starting! Easiest bet would be check the codes and start from there. It can be something simple or something more complex. Might also be time for new injectors with new bolts and washers and of course 'O' rings.

Sean

qcj
06-11-2013, 10:56 PM
Sean, I hope I have it fixed. I took the floor out and had the valves and injectors adj., compression test, leak test, replaced all valve seals on injectors and check valve replaced. Cranks in I/2 turn. Chappell

rellick
06-12-2013, 03:09 AM
:thumbsup:Great news! Hopefully it runs as it should for a long time! Excellent post Sean

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
06-12-2013, 02:11 PM
Qcj, I am curious about the configuration of your coach as regards to removing the floor for access to the engine. I would like to service the top of the engine as you did, but it looks like the trap door extends under the bed which suggests the bed has to be removed. Did you happen to take any photos?