PDA

View Full Version : Shore water

Yachts
06-03-2013, 04:03 AM
Hooked up my shore water for first time today.. It filled my tank and then rather than just pressurize the system ,It did the overflow thing out of the tank and did not pressurize.. Even with pumps off ,I had no pressure.. Sure it's a valve .. Please help..

rellick
06-03-2013, 05:08 AM
There should be another hook up on your coach closer to the floor, I thinkyour hooked up to the tank fill spout. If you can't see it look underneath, it might be there.

folivier
06-03-2013, 12:13 PM
Keith's right. To fill the tank there is a fitting at the top of the compartment (may be a connection on both sides of coach). Look lower near the sewer dump valve and there should be a connection there, may be labeled city water. There is also a valve that allows you to fill the tank from that connection. Look behind the door where your water pump is down on the floor of the basement for that valve. Try turning it the other direction and see if your system gets pressurized.

Wheeler
06-03-2013, 03:02 PM
:dito: Keith and Forest

NewellCrazy
06-03-2013, 03:53 PM
I have to agree with Keith and Forest.

Flydrifter
06-03-2013, 04:21 PM
Does anyone know about an auto-fill valve? Mike with Newell Service mentioned it the other day, but then we got on to something else, and I didn't follow up on that.

I have used both the upper fill connection and the city water connection, maybe this is the valve Forester is talking about.

folivier
06-03-2013, 04:45 PM
No I'm talking about a manual 1/2" ball valve that diverts the city water either to the tank or to the plumber header for the coach. You can use this to fill your tank.
I don't have the autofill valve.

Yachts
06-04-2013, 02:54 AM
iam an idiot, i swore my old coach would fill the tank and then pressurize the system..welll i found the ball valve just in front of the freshwater tank .. on a line straight from the city water connector.. closed it and now i have city pressure... ill use the top valve for filling and the bottom for city water.. and everyonce and a while ill fill from the city side..

77newell
06-04-2013, 12:46 PM
Yachts: we've all been there and done that. The reason my forehead is so flat is: smack! "How could I have missed that. Geez Louise I'm such an idiot. OK, calm down, what do I need to do now. I think I need a hug?"

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
06-04-2013, 03:01 PM
I have been using the top hose connection to fill my tank, but admit that it takes so long to fill it that I often forget it is being filled and it overflows until i wake up. If I use the auto-fill to merely fill the tank to avoid overflow, is there any changes to make other than to merely connect to the lower fitting and flip the auto-fill switch?

Flydrifter
06-04-2013, 07:42 PM
Chester, Where is the autofill switch, and what type of shut-off does it have?
Is is an electric solenoid controlled valve triggered off the top probe or what?

Thanks in advance.
Ray

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
06-04-2013, 09:17 PM
The autofill switch is a few inches below the air switch that opens the main sewer valve. There is an electric solenoid which is plumbed into the exhaust side of the two water pumps and empties into the tank about three inches from the top of the tank. My owner's manual states that the pumps should be left on even when connected to city water to maintain adequate pressure. Looks like I need to sort out the plumbing to figure out what is going on. In a previous post, I mentioned that when I tried to fill with the autofill, the water pump ran, filled the tank, and then shut off, but there was overflow. I have been advised to remove the solenoid and clean out a small hole that is intended to shut off the flow of water. Perhaps tomorrow I will check out this small hole to see if it is stopped up.

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
06-07-2013, 08:50 PM
I removed the autofill solenoid and the weep hole was plugged. Cleaned the hole, connected city water, turned on the autofill switch. The autofill and both water pumps worded until the tank was full and everything shut down sutomatically with the system pressurized. However, a few gallons came out of the overflow after everything was shut off. I guess i could shut the valve on the overflow but since the autofill shut itself off, a few gallons on the ground does not concern me. Am I wrong?