PDA

View Full Version : Tools you take on the road

Pascao
06-13-2013, 04:35 PM
What would you experienced neweller's consider to be the minimum in TOOLS you take on the road with you for maintenance and repair?

prairieschooner
06-13-2013, 05:14 PM
This would most likely depend on the year of your coach.
Being a mechanic I carry more than most but I would suggest a small mechanics tool box, a multimeter with amp, at least minimal plumbing tools, a drill and a small grinder.

prairieschooner
06-13-2013, 05:15 PM
This would most likely depend on the year of your coach.
Being a mechanic I carry more than most but I would suggest a small mechanics tool box with electrical crimping pliers and wire stripper, a multimeter with amp, at least minimal plumbing tools, a drill and a small grinder.
PS the bay behind the front wheel on the curb side is a tool box on our '82.

NewellCrazy
06-13-2013, 05:27 PM
Cell phone, computer, road service card, credit card and cash top the list. A set of combination wrenches, socket set, screw drivers, hammer, pry bar, pliers, WD40, VOM meter, IR temperature gun, and grease gun.

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
06-13-2013, 09:51 PM
Pascao, I carry too many tools to list, but one I would like to suggest is Whisper Ultrasonic Leak Detector to detect air leaks. In addition, I carry a battery load tester and a long set of battery cables.

rellick
06-13-2013, 10:36 PM
These aren't really a tool, more of an accessory, but makes it real easy to check your tires. Green if their good and red if their low.

cdat
06-14-2013, 12:31 AM
I think all of these are good suggestions, although I have a few additions, and maybe a question or two. I would add a pop rivet gun and some pop rivets and a cordless drill and bits.
For us non-electricians, any suggestions on a book or guide on using a multimeter?
John

folivier
06-14-2013, 01:05 AM
Magnetic pickup tool, 4# hand maul or ball peen hammer, never seize, penetrating oil, old clothes just for working on the coach, punch, plus all of the above.
Nice to have: ezy out set, stripped nut remover set

prairieschooner
06-14-2013, 02:45 AM
You bet Cell Phone, Towing, Cell Phone, Towing, Cell Phone towing etc. Depends on the year of your coach, I prefer to not depend on the help of anyone else if possible... but I still have towing even if I don't want to have to use it!

Cell phone, computer, road service card, credit card and cash top the list.

folivier
06-14-2013, 03:07 AM
You know we've always had road service either through our credit cards or a plan. I've never had the patience to use them when had a flat in the car. I figure by the time I wait for some yoyo to come change my tire I could be wherever I was going.
Now the coach is different. Of course I can get pretty comfortable while waiting.

NEWELLWIZARD
06-14-2013, 05:46 PM
These aren't really a tool, more of an accessory, but makes it real easy to check your tires. Green if their good and red if their low.

Keith that's cool where did you get this little tire accessory?

rellick
06-14-2013, 11:49 PM
Keith that's cool where did you get this little tire accessory?
Mine came with my coach but here is a link for some. Tire Pressure Gauge for Heavy Trucks | Aftermarket Auto Parts | Made in USA | Tyre Pressure Indicator (http://www.tireqp.com/p80tiprmoca.html) they are really nice, just walk by and look!! Green and your good to go. Nice for the inside duals that are hard to get at with a gauge. :thumbup:

rellick
06-14-2013, 11:53 PM
An air line repair kit is nice if you have to fix any leaks!!

GringoPhil
06-15-2013, 01:19 AM
I make sure I have a 24" pipe wrench and a really big crescent wrench, and a big 24 oz ball pein hammer. Wheel on and off tools & run up blocks.

domer1970
06-15-2013, 02:20 AM
I think all of these are good suggestions, although I have a few additions, and maybe a question or two. I would add a pop rivet gun and some pop rivets and a cordless drill and bits.
For us non-electricians, any suggestions on a book or guide on using a multimeter?
John

Check out Digital Multimeter Principles [Spiral-Bound] by Glen Mazur.

NewellCrazy
06-15-2013, 03:30 PM
Also include these other than a tool box of basic tools including 3/8 and 1/2 socket sets and box and open end wrenches 1/4 to 1", a good selection of screw drivers, a drill and some drill bits, an IR temperature gun, a multitester, and a battery tester and I am good to go.

rellick
06-15-2013, 03:52 PM
How about a large enclosed trailer to carry all these tools!!rollinglol

NewellCrazy
06-15-2013, 03:58 PM

Great idea keith!! Time to go trailer shopping!

1993Newell
06-15-2013, 05:16 PM

Keith there are some folks who do that... I assume you are one of them? LOL!

rellick
06-15-2013, 05:43 PM
Keith there are some folks who do that... I assume you are one of them? LOL!
One would think so but I usually just take the basics, I have been caught broke down somewhere and have always found a way to get home. About all one can do is proper maintenance to reduce the chance of any problems. If I could see into the future to know what is going to happen I could take those tools or parts with me, or maybe just fix whatever before I leave!! Its all just a part of the adventure!!:thumbsup:

NEWELLWIZARD
06-15-2013, 09:05 PM
One would think so but I usually just take the basics, I have been caught broke down somewhere and have always found a way to get home. About all one can do is proper maintenance to reduce the chance of any problems. If I could see into the future to know what is going to happen I could take those tools or parts with me, or maybe just fix whatever before I leave!! Its all just a part of the adventure!!:thumbsup:

Ain't that the truth! lol! It's always an adventure. Isn't it funny how you take the basics and what you think you might need but it's never enough, just what happens to go wrong you don't got what you need. But somehow you get home...