PDA

View Full Version : Toliet not holding water

GringoPhil
06-29-2013, 12:48 AM
I always leave a couple of inches of water in the toilet after flushing. But noticed today that after about an hour it had drained out. Took my toilet brush and cleaned the edge of the flapper and the seal. Is there something I can put on the seal to make it work?

77newell
06-29-2013, 02:32 AM
I tried peeing on mine, didn't help. I've heard that a little vegetable oil may make the seals free up, not tried that one yet. The seals do get cranky when they get old, just like we do, and then they leak a bit too, just like we do, it depends. I don't know if it was original or not but I did have to replace the seals in my 77 coach about 7-8 years ago.

prairieschooner
06-29-2013, 02:42 AM
Hey Gringo, I like Jon tried Peeing on ours and then tried Vegetable Oil, didn't help but not saying to not try both!
OK I changed ours out to a Dometic 310, great little toilet and it mounted easily with no modification.
I would suggest that you try a Toilet Brush on the Seals 1st but you may need to at least rebuild the toilet, again not worth it for our older plastic toilet.

ccjohnson
06-29-2013, 04:24 AM
Phil, my mechanic swears by using some brake fluid to re-juvinate seals. He did this on my forklift. Then he replaced seal kit!

The Newell
06-29-2013, 04:30 AM
Try some CLR in the bowl, and see if there are deposits/lime deposits on the seal.

Otherwise, it may be time for a seal replacement.

1993Newell
06-29-2013, 04:38 PM
I would replace the seal.

larryweikart
06-30-2013, 11:00 AM
It's not very difficult to change the seal Gringo, if you have to. Give Ed a call at 866-840-4944. he's the distributor and will help you solve the problem whatever it is.

prairieschooner
06-30-2013, 01:42 PM
When I looked into replacing the sea it looked like I would need to pull the Toilet so that I could break it down enough to do this. Don't have any experience since the Toilet was older and a newer one was just a better investment.
I chose the Dometic 310 because it was around a hundred bucks and bolted right in. As a benefit it has a China Bowl and a Water Saver option that is a Sprayer similar to one used at a kitchen sink. Found this today;

Cart Contents : AdventureRV.NET (http://www.adventurerv.net/shopping_cart.php?gclid=CJ3jvZnzi7gCFYR7QgodLnkADQ&utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=cpc)