PDA

View Full Version : 77 Newell Brake Light Switch Location

rellick
07-06-2013, 03:11 PM
G'day eh!! Im installing a King cruise control on my 77 and cant seem to find my brake light switch, that also doesnt seem to be working at the moment. There is a switch on the foot valve but it only seems to work when there is low air, this seems very odd why anyone would put the low air switch on the foot valve? It has power on one side and when you press the brake the other side does nothing until there is low air. More wiring gremlins? is there another switch?:bandit:

prairieschooner
07-06-2013, 04:06 PM
On our '82 the Brake Light Switch is on the Air Line Forward. It should be a Red Wire and may have a White Stripe where it comes into the Steering Column.
The Turn Signal and Emergency Flasher Switches Interrupt the Brake Signal going Aft (this is how the front emergency flashers stay on while the brake light is interrupted by the turn signal. The Brake Light Signal that was not interrupted was only at the Cruise Control in the Rear.
When I bought our '82 the Brake Lights did not function. I found the problem in the Emergency Flasher and was able to make a temporary repair while I waited for the replacement part. At that time Newell had these Replacement TRW Turn/Emergency Switches.
Good Luck, and I would like any of the old Williams DANA Cruise Control parts if you still have them, so far I have been able to keep ours going with minor repairs.

rellick
07-06-2013, 07:54 PM
Thanks Steve ill take another look underneath for that switch,
I still have all of my old cruise parts, I can send them to you if you like

prairieschooner
07-25-2013, 03:41 AM
I'll pay for the shipping or.......maybe we can meet somewhere while tripping?

rellick
07-25-2013, 03:10 PM
I'll pay for the shipping or.......maybe we can meet somewhere while tripping?
We could do that Steve, In the meantime if you have an issue you know where the parts are, not sure if they work or not but I wont throw them out.

prairieschooner
07-25-2013, 03:44 PM
Greatly appreciated! So far I have been able to keep my Dana Cruise Control working, last repair was to replace the Magnet at the Driveshaft. Really is a fairly straight forward unit although also has it's quirks!