PDA

View Full Version : PayPal accidentally credits man $92 quadrillion

NewellCrazy
07-17-2013, 04:02 PM
Now this is crazy!!!

Link: PayPal accidentally credits man $92 quadrillion - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/17/tech/paypal-error/index.html?hpt=hp_t2)

New York (CNN) -- When Chris Reynolds opened his June PayPal e-mail statement, something was off.

The Pennsylvania PR executive's account balance had swelled to a whopping $92,233,720,368,547,800.
That's $92 QUADRILLION (and change).

Money that would make Reynolds -- who also sells auto parts on eBay in his spare time -- the richest man in the world by a long shot.
Rich, as in more than a million times richer than Mexican telecom mogul Carlos Slim (http://money.cnn.com/2013/03/04/news/economy/forbes-billionaires/index.html). And he's worth $67 billion.
Oh, if only.

"It's a curious thing. I don't know, maybe someone was having fun," Reynolds said.
So he logged online, and reality bit back. His account balance read $0. The correct amount.
PayPal admitted the error and offered to donate an unspecified amount of money to a cause of Reynolds' choice.
"This is obviously an error and we appreciate that Mr. Reynolds understood this was the case," PayPal said in a statement.
Before this incident, the most Reynolds ever made on PayPal was "a little over $1,000" selling a set of vintage BMW tires on eBay.
So what would the would-be quadrillionaire have done with all that cash?
"I probably would have paid down the national debt," he said.

Neweller
07-17-2013, 04:22 PM
Sean, what a crazy deal. Since paypal was not a bank and it they didn't catch it as soon and this guy had done one heck of a withdraw, Paypay would be in serious trouble. But obviously it didn't take long to catch the mistake. Amazing that PayPal would even offer to donate to a charity of his choice isn't it? But as long as there is a tax incentive for them, why not right.

NewellCrazy
07-17-2013, 04:37 PM
Lucky for paypal it was credited to an account in the states and not an account overseas.

stewart33
07-18-2013, 02:45 AM
whoa. is all I've got to say.

Randy J
07-18-2013, 02:32 PM
He would not have been able to spend all that money. But it reminds me if he had tried or spent some of it. Had it been there in his account long. He would be going to jail. reminds me of those stories you have heard about. With money going into bank accounts that wasn't theirs. Just because it's there. Doesn't mean its yours. lol!

speedingsport
07-19-2013, 04:20 AM
:rolleyes: What kind of accident is that?