PDA

View Full Version : Speedo/Odometer Stopped Working Suddenly

bluesky
09-22-2013, 03:32 AM
We've been on a 2 week cruise and our '83 is just purring, however, when we stared out today the speedo/odometer didn't work and hasn't worked all day. Where would be a good place to begin? Thanks.

rellick
09-22-2013, 02:23 PM
G'day Glenn and Deb, it sounds like your trip is going well. The first place I would look is in the fuse panel in the front ahead of the passenger seat, there should be a fuse for the speedo. Is your cruise control working?

bluesky
09-22-2013, 02:29 PM
thanks Keith, I'll check my fuse panel and report back. Re cruise control, I don't believe it's worked for a long time, at least while I've owned our coach.

ccjohnson
09-22-2013, 02:49 PM
Ours would not register for +/- 50 miles. Then it would bounce around for a while. Next it would peg out at max for a while. Then it would settle down & read right. I was always amazed that the odometer would be perfect for the distance traveled. We replaced both the sensor and the in dash speedometer. Solved the problem and the new speedometer reset odometer to 0. Made our remodel even more like getting a brand new coach!!

rellick
09-22-2013, 03:23 PM
It could be the senser, not sure what style he has, my 77 had a short cable from the transmission to a box that had a sending unit on it for the cruise control and the speedo wires, he might have the disc style pick-up off the driveshaft, they act up over time and can be rebuilt, I still have this sending unit from the 77 if its needed, the transmission was an mt640 I believe

bluesky
09-22-2013, 03:32 PM
I checked the fuses and they all look good, although there's so many and some are hard to see as they are up under the dash. As well, they're not labeled.

We're heading into New Mexico today and on the road for another month. Does it make sense to deal with this when I get back home? I can manage fine with just my tach and "feel" of the bus.

rellick
09-22-2013, 03:47 PM
I use my gps for speed, MrE posted this a while back for smartphone app
"Jim, if you have a smart phone you can download a GPS speedometer app for free. I have an android phone and downloaded Android-Speedometer and it has all kinds of other information than just your speed. It also offers HUD (heads up display) for your viewing pleasure."
Have a great trip and let us know the outcome when you get a look at it. I have an old style sending unit if you need one,

77newell
09-23-2013, 03:25 PM
I doubt you can do any electrical or mechanical damage by continuing your trip as is. Whether your pocketbook will suffer due to speeding violations will depend on alternate speed indications. I drove from Texas to Michigan this spring using a GPS for speed indication, the only problem being that my old eyes and the small speed readout were somewhat incompatible.

The speed sensor arrangement will vary by coach. On my 77 coach the speed sensor was mounted to the left side of the HT-740 Allison transmission. On my 93 coach the signal is supplied from the Allison HT-741 ECU.

NEWELLWIZARD
09-28-2013, 02:51 AM
A 83' Newell purring like a kitten and enjoying your travels, that's always impressive to hear. Did you get the speed odometer working? How long are you guys traveling for?