PDA

View Full Version : dealing on a nice Newell

macgyver
11-08-2013, 04:03 PM
I am looking into buying a well kept 87 classic from a friend , it has more features than you can shake a stick at. I guess it was built for the company president , should I be concerned that it has about 160 thousand miles on it ,or is that just broke in for an 8v92 Ddec ?

rellick
11-08-2013, 04:21 PM
Welcome Macgyver, in my opinion it really doesn't matter how many miles are on the engine, more importantly how it was maintained and if it was ever overheated or ran low on oil etc. Your best bet would be to have the oils anylized.
As with the DDEC I have heard there was a lot of issues with the DDEC I, either mechanical or DDEC II or better was the better system for these engines. Hope this helps, good luck and hope to hear more on your purchase of a Newell Coach!!

MrE
11-08-2013, 04:26 PM
I wouldn't be worried about the 160k, but you should have it thoroughly checked out to help prevent expensive surprises. There are numerous posts on the forum detailing check lists and people that specialize in checking over coaches.

chockwald
11-09-2013, 03:35 AM
I am looking into buying a well kept 87 classic from a friend , it has more features than you can shake a stick at. I guess it was built for the company president , should I be concerned that it has about 160 thousand miles on it ,or is that just broke in for an 8v92 Ddec ?

Series 92 engines are considered broken in at 150,000 miles. As others have noted, be more concerned about current condition, and past maintenance. As with any new purchase, always have the oil, transmission fluid, and coolant checked at a lab. These tests can indicate if there is anything bad going on in your engine, tranny, or cooling system that has not shown itself yet.