PDA

View Full Version : 84 Newell

Fred
06-21-2016, 04:34 AM
I just bought an 84 Newell with a Detroit 8V92ta 181,000, Allison 5, etc., been off the road for 15 years and I know zilch about it. Sounds fun I think, and so I have some questions...
is that Diesel engine up front the generator? How do I start it up? What the heck are those huge batteries? Can I just wire 6v batteries in succession to duplicate it?
Where's the engine to fill those air bags?

fulltiming
06-22-2016, 03:19 AM
Yes, the diesel engine up front is the generator. There should be a generator Start/Stop switch near the drivers seat and potentially a second switch in the bedroom. Not sure about the '84 models but most Newells use 8D batteries which are 12 volt. It is possible to add battery cables and use 6V golf cart batteries. The air bags are filled by the engine driven air compressor. You also likely have a 120V AC air compressor to use when the engine is not running.

peneumbra
09-15-2016, 02:59 AM
The best thing you, as a new Newell owner, can do is make an appointment at the factory in Miami, OK, and bring your coach in for a complete check-over. These vehicles are complicated, to put it mildly. The techs at the factory will explain everything, likely including a whole bunch of features you never knew you had.

Scott 71
07-08-2021, 11:50 PM
Welcome this is going to be a great learning experience hope to see you on the road .
Scott and Robin Wilson
1986 Newell 36 ft Cummins 903