PDA

View Full Version : Full LPG Tank, No Gas Supplied to Coach

Travelin Around
02-21-2008, 09:21 PM
I have run into a problem due to low temperatures. At some point below freezing, something is freezing up and not allowing me to use anything that uses gas. The tech turned on the stove and after about 15 seconds with an electric match, the front burner lit. I thought he had overridden something but he said it was due to warmer temperatures. He added it might be a problem anywhere from the LPG leak sensor inside the door, to a relay at the tank. Concerning the LPG sensor, if that was the problem, he said it would be the wires coming from the unit toward the tank.

My question: is there a "fix" to keep it, whatever the culprit is, from freezing up?

Richard and Rhonda
02-22-2008, 01:16 PM
No trying to sound like a smart aleck, but my first thought is water somewhere in the system.

Might be as simple as disconnecting the LP system at the tank, opening all the LP outlets at stove, furnace, etc, and blowing compressed air through the system. Or look for a low point in the LP system, gravity should help collect any water there.

fulltiming
02-22-2008, 05:17 PM
Water was my first thought also. I grew up on a farm with butane for cooking, heating, etc. We ALWAYS turned everything gas off at night when it was getting close to freezing outside. Water condensation in the pipes was not uncommon and resulted in the flow of gas being interrupted. At that time, none of our gas heaters/stoves, had auto shutoffs or auto igniters, so if the water in the line froze and blocked the flow of gas, when it defrosted you had raw gas coming out of the heaters which would be lethal.

Although we have come a long way in technology, moisture in the LP system still occurs and will cause exactly the problem you are experiencing.

ikcandco
02-22-2008, 07:29 PM
- When I had a 'LPG Motorhome,' to many times something similar happened.

- 'The Problem:' 'Butane'

- If I remember well when I was in the Upper Colder States I filled-up with 'Propane' and
when I was in 'Texas' it was a mixture with increase 'Butane' and yes the so call 'Gas
Technicians' worked on my motorhome and a few cold days later I still had similar problems.

- Could these or in part be the Answers ?
- - 1- Throughout those days I learned that there was a regulator for 'Butane' and one
for 'Propane' and yes where I filled in 'Corpus' it was a mixture of 'Propane and Butane'
so was-it the main reason I still don't know.

- - 2- 'Butane' will not 'gas' below 1°C, whereas 'Propane' will do so down to -40°C, so
butane is unsuitable early and late in the season. So was the mixture the cause ?

- In those days, we couldn't always find a so call 'Propane Outlet' and perhaps today
also. LPG gas companies should share the percentage of 'Butane Versus Propane' on
their tanks.
------------------
May God Bless
KC ~ 137a What's this?