PDA

View Full Version : Typical Turbo Boost Pressures for Series 60

Richard and Rhonda
03-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Would some of you mind telling me what your typical boost pressures run.

For example at 1600 rpm on the flats I will run around 5 psi. Still between 1400 and 1600 on some pretty good hills the boost only runs up to 20 psi. I really have to rev the engine over 2000 rpm in a low gear while climbing to get the boost in the 25 to 30 range.

Is this normal?

Lewis and Clark
07-12-2011, 02:35 PM
Hello Richard, I have just purchased a 96 Newell #410 and experiencing the same problem with the turbo. Also, when starting off on a grade when the engine is warm I have little to no boost until I reach the top of the grade and RPMs increase. DD has told me that my CAC is leaking and needs to be replaced. Atlas, the manufacturer of the CAC is quoting 5 to 6 weeks to supply. I am not looking forward to not being able to use the coach for that length of time. What type of info did you uncover after you post? Thanks in advance for any info.

Nando Garbarino
Ft. Myers, Florida

Ron Skeen
07-12-2011, 04:57 PM
Hi Nando,
I have coach 422 and have worked on the CAC a couple of times and having trouble now. Fleet Air in Ala can rebuild with new core and can turn around quick. I am in the Denver area now and Stewart Stevenson had my CAC rebuilt 4 years ago and it is leaking again. I am pondering on what to do. S/S have suggested rebuilding again ($1800), Patch with epoxy ($450), Trying to find new replacement ($ ???) Plus labor on any of these fixes is approximately ($1000). 6 year ago when I first purchase my coach I remove the CAC myself and took to Fleet Air and they patch the same day ($200). This lasted for 2 years and then I recored which lasted 4 years. I am trying to research epoxy fix and may try this time. Hope this help
Ron

, fix with epoxy, or try to purchase a new one.

Lewis and Clark
07-12-2011, 06:09 PM
Hello Ron,
Thanks for the information, it is of help. For your information, Atlas last week quoted me $1,395.00 for new CAC with a 5 to 6 week delivery time. How difficult was it to remove the CAC yourself? special tools, skills needed?

Thanks,
Nando

GORDON HUMMEL
07-12-2011, 06:14 PM
When I was in the trucking industry, we had a lot of problems with CAC's especially on off road vehicles.
Duralite at the time offered a lifetime warranty on there product & I had never seen a failure. The tubes are rubber mounted to the tanks.

http://www.duralite.net/content/i-have-seen-other-companies-offer-10-yr-and-lifetime-warranties-are-these-companies-charge-a

Ron Skeen
07-12-2011, 06:42 PM
Hi Nando,
Give me a call at 865-712-5610