PDA

View Full Version : Cummins 903 engine questions

champcar50
03-20-2008, 10:46 PM
Our 1983 coach has a cummins 903 engine. It seems to run good and has plenty of power, however after it sits for a while the only way to get it started is with a shot of either in the air intake. It starts right up and runs good. It does smoke pretty good for a few minutes after starting smoke smells like fuel. I am not sure why it needs a shot to start it is almost like the fuel drains off while it is parked. I know quite a bit about gas engines but not a lot about diesels. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.
Jack

fulltiming
03-21-2008, 02:54 AM
I would look for an air leak into the fuel system causing the fuel pump to send air into the cylinders instead of fuel after sitting for an extended period.

The ether is allowing the engine to start by providing a substitute fuel to get the engine going and by then the fuel pump has pumped the air out of the system through the injectors and is moving diesel to the engine to allow it to continue to run.

It could be a seal in the fuel pump or a leak in the fuel lines very near the engine or even a leak in the small lines that go to the injectors themselves.

DieselTruckMan81
11-26-2010, 04:11 AM
I believe what you have as this 903 is a VT-350, producing 350 hp @ 2400 rpm and 860 lb/ft @ 1500 rpm. This is a V8 diesel engine.

~Ben

Jimg
12-07-2010, 12:50 PM
This was very common on 903 very cold natured, and most had ether injectors installed that you just hit a switch to activate.