PDA

View Full Version : Starting and stopping the engine

champcar50
03-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Our 1983 Newell has what I believe to be a master on / off switch inside a panel on the right rear of the coach. The coach can be started with this switch if the ignition key is on. The coach can be started with the ignition switch only if this master switch is on. The engine can only be shut off if both the ignition switch and the master switch are turned off, The engine will continue to run if only one switch either the ignition or the master switch are turned off. This seems to me to be a safety issue if the engine can not be shut down with out leaving the coach and opening this rear compartment and turning off the master switch. Is this the way this is supposed to work? Thanks for your help.
Jack

fulltiming
03-21-2008, 02:41 AM
Jack, are you talking about the Master Chassis Battery Off/On switch. If you are talking about having to turn off the Master Battery Shutoff in the engine compartment to stop the engine, you have a problem with the ignition switch. You should be able to start and stop your engine just like it were an automobile (except for the delay for the check engine and stop engine lights to go out).

I would look at making sure that a wire has not come off the ignition and if not, replacing the ignition switch.

If you are referring to the Safety Switch rather than the Master Chassis Battery Off/On Switch see my post here (http://www.newellclassic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=717).

Richard and Rhonda
03-21-2008, 03:49 PM
I wonder if the hard starting issue and this issue are related. A diesel, in general, stops differently than a gas engine. In a diesel there is no spark to shut off, you merely starve the engine for fuel. The is an electrically actuated solenoid that shuts off the fuel flow.

I found this out when my gennie wouldn't stop. Check all the leads and grounds going to that solenoid, especially the ground. If it is not working properly, the engine will not want to start and will not want to quit when started. Just a thought.