PDA

View Full Version : safe

encantotom
06-05-2008, 03:12 PM
hi all,

several people told me they thought it was unusual my coach didnt have a safe. the previous owner said nothing about it and in my tearing apart of the coach i didnt find one in the usual places like under the bed or dinette. so, now on to my adventure....

as i was tearing the carpeting out of the stairwell and from under the flip up stairs i noticed a steel rectangular box pointed up to the bottom of the top step. i stripped the carpet off of it and just wondered what that area was. my steps i left the carpet on till the last of the updating to make it easier on climbing up and down so much. i had carpet on the steps as well as a stair tread cover. so, now i had the stair tread cover off and noticed a quarter sized hole in the carpeting on the right side middle of the top step. i did what any engineer does and stuck my finger in the hole. i felt something in there. so i tugged on the hole and walla, a 7" square of metal covered with carpeting came up and there was a blue safe! a floor safe made by hadon security in langley oklahoma. of course they are out of business.

so i called newell in hopes they would have spare keys...too old.

so, i called a local safe locksmith and he came yesterday and had it open in less than 5 minutes. then he made me 4 of the round tubular keys and 95 bucks later he was off. nice strong safe and a nice deep blue to boot (blue being my favorite color)

later

gom

chockwald
06-05-2008, 06:50 PM
gom....the safe is one of the things I love about our 1982 Newell. Ours is located on the floor in front of the passenger seat. Ours happens to be a combination lock type safe...the maker escapes me right now. There is a carpet covered door with a brass ring that you pull up to expose the safe. The original Newell produced owners manual that came with the coach had the combination in it!

bluesky
12-10-2010, 04:10 AM
Clarke

I noticed our new coach has a safe on the floor in front of the passenger seat, as well. Problem is, the fella we purchased the coach from doesn't know the combination and the coach did not come with the original owners manual.

Any ideas as to how to get the combination?

prairieschooner
12-10-2010, 03:09 PM
Bluesky,
I had a similar problem we purchased our '82. I'm going to send you a PM.

chockwald
12-11-2010, 01:58 AM
Fortunately, we have the manual for ours, and the combination, which, by the way, is quite complex, so I'm not sure how you would get the combination, or change it, but it looks like Steve (Prarieschooner) has some ideas so we'll see what he says. Who is the maker of your safe?

prairieschooner
12-11-2010, 04:18 AM
If you have any problems after all of this check with larrynjerry, he is a safecracker! I have been at his shop when people call to get into a safe and know that you will need to have proof that you have a right to get into the safe,
Any problems, just get Matt to vouch for you, this may or may not help.

express1
12-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Larry is surely a Cracker!

champcar50
12-11-2010, 01:54 PM
Our 1983 coach also has a safe in the floor in front of the passenger seat. When we bought the coach we did not realize it was there. When I called the dealer in Texas we purchased the coach from he had no idea it was there and did not have the combination so I to would like to know how to get into the safe.

prairieschooner
12-11-2010, 02:08 PM
Yea but still..... hopefully he will hop in here.

MiniNancy
12-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Our safe is located under our bed...the switch raises the bed which reveals a huge storage area and the safe! Hope you find yours! ;)