PDA

View Full Version : What do your transmission temps run?

Richard and Rhonda
12-11-2008, 03:55 PM
I guess I don't have enough to obsess over. On our last trip while watching the VMSpc, I saw the trans temp hover between 210 and 214. In my feeble memory, I thought it used to run right around 200. So I started to mentally figure out how to check if my tranny cooling system was working.

What do you guys run, when on the flats and at cruising speed?

chockwald
12-11-2008, 05:16 PM
160-180 on the flat depending on outside temperature. Around 200 on long climbs. Of course, my coach weighs in at just under 30,000 lbs.

fulltiming
12-12-2008, 05:34 AM
We have different transmission so I am not sure the comparison is valid (I have the HT-740) but it takes mine quite a while to warm up. Then, as Clarke, mine runs about 160-180 on level ground and climbs to 200 on long climbs and in rush hour traffic jams. My coach weighs 45,000 + 3,500 pounds for my toad. I am having to rely on the dash gauge (not necessary the most reliably source of information) because the HT-740's don't talk to the VMSpc.

The only time I have seen temps over 200 on level ground, I found that Valley Power (Detroit Diesel) had over filled my transmission. After siphoning out over 3 quarts, all was well and the temps dropped back to normal.

Richard and Rhonda
12-12-2008, 01:01 PM
Thanks guys.

I am going to check the level this weekend, and crawl around under the rear to see what I can see. I think my tranny cooler is mounted in front of the differential, and has two electrical fans. I have to figure out the circuitry, and see if I can remotely determine if those fans are kicking on. I can't get Rhonda to ride under there and watch for some reason. However, I may have to steal Tom's idea of using a bullet camera to watch.