PDA

View Full Version : air release valve location?

'TIL MONDAY
02-07-2009, 01:39 PM
I have a 1974 Newell with an 1160 Cat. and I am wondering if someone knows where I find the air release valve to drain moisture from the air system. In my limited experience with air brake systems there is usually a valve that drains the air system. Right? I can't find one on this oldie but goodie.
Thanks for your help,

fulltiming
02-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Not sure about the '74 but on most of the 80's + Newells there are several spit valves. There should be three air tanks that are cylindrical, a front brake tank, a rear brake tank and a supply tank. Each should have a petcock on the bottom of the tank to drain out the water. There should also be a dryer near the engine. At least in the 80's+ Newells the dryer has an automatic blow-off valve so when the engine air compressor reaches max pressure (typically 125 psi) it makes a whoosing sound and blows the moisture removed in the dryer automatically. The dryers on the classic Newell's I have seen were mounted on the front wall of the engine bay on the drivers side and say BrakeMaster on them.

Hopefully someone with a 70's model can chime in.

Be sure you have the coach on VERY strong jack stands or cribbing before opening those valves. Dropping a Newell on your chest can ruin your entire day.

fulltiming
02-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Should have added that the front brake tank and the supply tank are typically located near the center of the coach (side to side) just to the rear of the front axle and the rear brake tank is typically located to the front of the rear axle and centered side to side.

'TIL MONDAY
02-07-2009, 05:37 PM
Thanks. I think I've seen the rear break tank just in front of the rear axel but, there isn't a petcock. So maybe that's not the correct tank? I'll look up front, too (when the weather warms up) I didn't know there would be more than one tank.
Thanks for the advice, especially the safety warning.

fulltiming
02-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Sometimes the petcock is on the end rather than on the bottom of the tank.

HoosierDaddy
02-08-2009, 01:16 AM
Hi T'Mon!
My '78 has two tanks with valves. One has a 1/4" air line that goes to the side (rocker panel area) of the coach on the drivers side. Very easy to drain. I think that is the primary tank most likely to have moisture build up. The other is under the coach attached directly to the tank. My coach doesn't have an air dryer.