PDA

View Full Version : Add Water to RV battery???

Newell Attack
08-21-2006, 06:21 PM
I've heard that these so-called maintenance-free batteries are not always maintenance free. Is it possible to remove the battery covers and add water to it?? I hear that they tend to dry out, I'm not having a problem, but I would like to prevent one if possible..thanks in advance.

Newell Attack

fulltiming
08-21-2006, 06:51 PM
'Maintenance free' or sealed batteries can lose water if they are overcharged for extended periods of time. Actually the term 'sealed' is a misnomer since they do have vents to allow gas to escape during charging.

I have switched to Concorde Lifeline AGM batteries for my house batteries and will likely switch to the same batteries for my starting batteries when they need replacement. They are completely sealed batteries and will not leak acid even if the case is broken open. They are expensive but I don't have to worry about them boiling out their water.

Newell Attack
08-21-2006, 07:01 PM
Would you by chance know where I can find information online about those batteries?

Newell Attack

fulltiming
08-21-2006, 08:37 PM
Sure, try http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/rv.php.

Bob Fetters
08-25-2006, 03:55 AM
I ordered 4 8D's for our 93 Newell last week. I expect them any day now. The best price I could find locally in the Denver area was $379 plus $35 freight each. I shopped around town for several days and that included the Internet. My final source was Batteries Plus. I did get price quotes as high as $595 each and $150 frieght each.

Bob

fulltiming
08-25-2006, 05:40 AM
Not a bad price at all Bob. The dealer I bought my Newell from said his cost was $339 each.

Bob Fetters
08-25-2006, 11:55 AM
Michael,
I was a bit disengenous with my price quote on the batteries. The price I mentioned is the regular retail price from Batteries Plus. One of my businesses is a small automobile dealership (I started an electric car dealership in 1979.) My dealers cost from Batteries Plus was $349. Given the fact I am not a regular customer of Batteries Plus, I would guess your MH dealer was being very candid about his costs.

What surprised me about my search for these batteries was that my normal sources (including places where I had previously purchased larger quantities of EV batteries) were the highest priced. It goes to show you should always shop around before you purchase.

Also, I have purchased a pair of pulse charge units (about $150) from Newell that I will install when I change out the batteries to Lifeline. As with everything Factory, they arrived at my farm in excellent condition and ahead of schedule.

Bob