Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Tech Talk Archives 12
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 05:58 AM   #7
Neweller

A
1472 11/8/2004 6:46:51 PM 11/10/2004 Bill wrssr@msn.com Air Brake Upgrade Hi Rich, I live in the Pacific Northwest. I own a 1974 Newell in excellent condition with a 3208 CAT. Saw your e-mail on TechTalk - I just did my wedge rear brakes. I am a retired mechanic - the first thing I did when I tore the brakes down was to removed the backing plate and left it off. I personally like wedge brakes because they always self-adjust. Every once in a while I check the threads on the automatic adjusters and blow them off with air and spray brake clean on. I've notices the brakes run a lot cooler. Have you done your brakes because I'm wondering if you had to replace any drums? If so, I understand we cannot buy replacements for the drums we are running. After some research I found a pretty popular drum that is used on semi trucks - that is a 3159 Gunite drum. I had to have some machine work done to move the drum in on the bearing hub by 3/8". The only thing I didn't have done, that I wish I would have had done, was to drill three 5/16" holes to align the drum center on the bearing hub. Will check on that number on the drum to make sure it is right. The cost of brakes and new bearing and seals wasn't bad. Feel free to e-mail me. Thanks, Bill
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote