Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Tech Talk Archives 12
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 06:09 AM   #49
Neweller

Q
1540 4/12/2005 10:56:15 PM 4/13/2005 B. Johnston nmbjohnston@aol.com 1975 Newell Coach About the Cummins 555 (triple nickel) engine; When I bought my '79 2 years ago and asked for information about that engine my local Cummins mechanic, a nearby Newell owner (that had one with that engine years ago), and a friend that is a farm machinery mechanic and has worked on them before all said the same thing; it's underpowered, hard to repair, and recommended against buying it if it had one. A previous message in this web site from William Griffith, guzzi@bayou.com stated "We have a 78 Newell that "had" a 555 Cummins (214hp WHEN NEW). We felt that the 555 was sluggish on take off and terribly under powered. While it will eventually get up the hills, it will take a while and after everything else passes you. When we had problems (blown engine) we found that the 555 is an old out-dated engine, few machanics know how to work on it, parts are not readily available and to rebuild the top end would be over $13K."

Fortunately, when we inspected it we found that the previous owner had replaced it with the 903 Cummins and I bought it. It has had no problems so far, although it does smoke until it really warms up. I love my old Newell coach!
Hope this helps a bit.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote