Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - my experience fixing duotherm dometic LP furnaces
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2008, 05:44 PM   #4
encantotom

update to my furnaces.....

i got them all installed back in the coach. for the flex hose for the air intake i looked all over. could order them maybe but they were pricey. they needed replacing so i continued my qwest. they are a heavy foil flex hose like a dryer vent only heavier. and they are 1 3/4" in diameter, not a standard one. ended up finding them as pre-heater hose for 5 bucks apiece at autozone. go figure.

i used the rubber butyl tape double thickness to put the exterior intake and exhaust cover on to seal to the coach. trick is to tighten every day or so after the sun allows the butyl to compress. just keep checking every few days and slightly tighten then trim with a plastic putty knife the ooze.

i got new mud dauber covers at camping world. they were cheaper than anywhere online.

i got chicken and bought a higher end propane leak dectector. the propane detector that is wired into the tank valve in the coach is only sensitive to slightly over 2000 ppm and i wanted something better to check since i did all three furnaces and this hardwired one is only in the furnace under the couch and not the other two.

i ended up buying the Extech FG100 i paid 65 bucks delivered for it. i looked quite a bit and it did what i wanted. there are cheaper ones that only go to 2000 ppm detection, but i wanted better than that.

http://www.extech.com/instrument/pro...pha/FG100.html

which goes down to 50ppm.

i checked it and have no leaks anywhere that are detectable. then yesterday i tried to test the furnaces....no luck. only because it was 85 degrees inside the coach and the thermostats would not turn the heaters on....so i got up at 3:30am this morning and went and tried them when it was 75 degrees inside. they all worked great! they had no howling and the delays worked fine and they ignited on the first try for all three of them. so am glad that is all done.

i ended up making some metal brackets to mount them to the floor of the coach. before they were loosely mounted on the floor.

btw, if you need extra rivets, i found a box spilled under the closet on the floor that were spilled those many years ago when newell built the coach. so i have OEM rivets i am will sell as collector items for ten bucks apiece. maybe it will finance some of my updates........yea right.

now i have a new electric heater from cadet to see if i can make it fit under the bed, bathroom and in the bay. of course they are not quite the same dimensions.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote