Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Engine Upgrade Ideas for Your Luxury Coach?
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 09:08 PM   #18
Neweller

Gordon, I understand exactly what you are saying with regards to upgrading with the sole purpose of saving fuel, that is kind of why I threw that it in my original post as an additional option. My sole purpose would not be to only gain fuel economy, but it would be an added plus. Honestly, the 6V92's and 8V92's are great engines and even more so back in prime era for that engine. Kind of like an old Chevy 409 vs. a 454. Both are great engines with plenty of power, but the 454 is more feasible to maintain. This may not be the best example, I'm just trying to make a mini statement here. Might as well jump on the bandwagon here and get some of these coaches ready for the next generation of owners and mechanics.

The main reason I got off on this tangent in the first place, was to offer some other optional ideas for those mainly needing to change out a bad engine or needing major repairs and I know of a handful of Newell owners in facing this particular dilemma. Actually the number just jumped from 4 to 5 and I believe 3 or 4 are 8v's. I could mention them but I don't know if the owners want me to share this since they themselves have not. None of these owners have started overalls as far as I know. Two are heavily considering a Series 60. If it wasn't for a tough economy most of these coaches would have already had engines done.

I have a local shop that will do the upgrade conversion including a low mileage Series 60 engine for less money than the average shop will charge to rebuild the original older engine. Gear change is much less than one would think and if you are doing it at the same time as the engine it's almost peanuts. A current project in the works has an 8 speed transmission going into a 1981 bus.

I should probably add that I don't actually advocate changing out a perfectly sound running older Detroit for a newer engine unless is in need of replacement or you have deep pockets and like having that sort of thing. I've been thinking of doing it just to do it and show it being done. Giving owners another option as well as those that I speak to from time to time that would rather drive a POS Cracker Jack Class A because it has a modern drive-train.....

My hat goes off to those whom love their fantastic V92's and those whom love their newer engines.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote