Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Air leaks in my 1987.
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2009, 10:42 AM   #3
Richard and Rhonda

Jennifer,

As you have noticed, there are MANY airlines in the Newell. Most of them were assembled using the quick press style of connection, in that all that is necessary is to push the air line into the fitting and voila it magically seals. Over time the collet inside those fittings causes the plastic of the air line to compress, and it eventually will start to leak. Sometimes snipping about a 1/4 off the airline and putting it back in will stop the leak.

When I find leaks I have been in the practice of replacing the quick fitting with a traditional style compression fitting.

To be technically correct, DOT fittings should be used. I always use the DOT rated fittings when I replace one in the braking system. I am not quite so persnickety on the other systems and confess to using fittings from Lowes and HD.

If you don't have a convenient truck supply place, you can order the DOT compression fittings from McMaster Carr. They are not much more expensive than the standard compression fitting. Most of us nuts just lay in a supply of all manner of the fittings, because like you we are always searching for lost air. When you are stocking up on air system supplies, you might also obtain some 1/4 and 3/8 DOT air line. It is important to use the DOT airline and not the home supply stuff when replacing an airline.

Any progress with the generator??
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote