Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Tires
Thread: Tires
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 05:09 PM   #5
fulltiming

It is a good thing to frequently cover important issues such as tires. I apologize if my message came across in any way as condescending, it certainly wasn't meant that way. (Some engineers don't have as many social skills are they should.)

For others (since I know that you are aware) there is a date code stamped into the sidewall of each tire by the manufacturer (although it is only on one side and some installers make life difficult by putting the date on the inside). For tires manufactured prior to 2000, the code is 3 digits. The first 2 digits are the week (01 through 52) and the final digit is the year. Starting in 2000, the date code changed to a 4 digit number with the first two digits being the week and the last two digits being the year. Example: 091 was made in the 9th week of 1991, 2707 was made in the twenty-seventh week of 2007.

My front tires are dated 1206 (12th week of 2006) and the remainder of my tires are 0106 (1st week of 2006). I purchased all eight 11R24.5 tires in early 2006 but then replaced the front tires with the larger 305/75R24.5 about 8 months later even though their date is only 11 weeks later.

I think that the wireless tire pressure monitors are a great idea. I don't current have them but they are on my acquisition list. Many of the folks on this site have them and the newer Newell's come from the factory with them. The more reasonably priced models have sensors that fit on the valve stem and monitor only pressure. The more expensive models have sensor that require demounting the tire to install and monitor both temperature and pressure. The later gives you more information if your bank account and priorities allow it.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote