Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Batteries not Charging all the way
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2010, 04:12 AM   #1
jmacstack

Default Batteries not Charging all the way

Jennifer here, once again,
While I was out this weekend, I was unable to plug in,(more on that in a second) and had to run my generator, (20KW.) I had to run it a lot of hours a day to get a mere 12.4 volts. An hour later my gauge on the interior panel was back to 12 volts. When the generator was running the gauge was reading 13.4. I drove 3.5 hours each way to my destination and upon arrival, the gauge was at also at 12.4. (I drove without the generator running.) While parked and with the generator was running I was pulling 20+amps and I assume it was because the battery charger was running. When the generator was not running I was drawing about a half to 1 amp on both legs. The batteries are new 1 year ago. The battery charger is new and has maybe 10 hours on it. It is a "smart" charger (progressive dynamics I think.) I spent the entire weekend watching the gauge and stressing that the batteries were going to dip below 12. I'm wondering if it is the gauge or if there was something else happening. Tomorrow I am going to plug into 50 amps for the day and see what happens.

Separate issue perhaps...
I tried to plug in at the fairgrounds I was camped at and they only had 20 amp breakers. This fairground panel has 200 amps servicing it. There were probably 30 pedestals in a row and I was near the end of the line. No one else was plugged into these hook-ups. The breaker in the fairgrounds panel kept tripping. I assumed that it was because the 20 amp was on such a long run, there was too much resistance and the breaker couldn't handle it. I even turned off every breaker in the panel hoping that might solve the issue...no luck. I also changed to a different outlet and that didn't help. Perhaps this is related to my charging issue. I have had to plug into 20 amps recently and all went well. According to the electrical panel at the fairgrounds, each pedestal had its own breaker. When I tripped the breaker it would last for anywhere from 10 minutes to 20 minutes before it tripped. Again, I would draw the 20+amps and again, figured it was the charger. Am I right to think the breaker was tripping due to the long run or could it be something else? Are these issues related? Any clues as to who is the best person to help me figure this out if I can't? I know there probably a lot of questions to get to the bottom of this and perhaps a phone call might be better. Electrical issues can be a bit of a nightmare. Perplexed, Jennifer
1987 Newell, 40ft #143
DD 8V92 Silver
2010 Cannondale Tandem
No Name Tandem Mtn Bike
1973 Triumph GT6
2012 AWD 4-door Mini-Cooper
3 Ford Trucks
Just another fanatical motorhead
jmacstack is offline   Reply With Quote