Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Portable Macerator Pump
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2009, 04:39 PM   #17
Richard and Rhonda

I finally had time over the T'day break to work on this. As usual there were a few challenges. The first was that I did not have room in either bay to semi-permanently mount the macerator to the existing discharge fitting. I also had very limited room to cut into the existing drain piping to do a permanent install. You can see what I am talking about in the picture of the bay.

I wanted to install the pump on the existing fitting so that I could easily take it on and off. I really only need the macerator when emptying the tank at home.

The second issue is that my rig has the discharge fittings that Newell sourced from Dupree products. They are not the Airstream variety nor the standard Thetford version either. To quote Tom " WHAT is that?" when he saw the fitting in Austin. I was able to get some fittings from Dupree although they do not list them on their website.

I took the fittings and the pump to Home Depot and Camping World to find something hopefully that would bridge the two. The solution also had a secondary benefit. It turned out that a Thetford coupler just fit over the Dupree 45 and was a hair too big for the pump. By installing the Thetford fitting on the Dupree fitting I now can use Thetford style fittings in a pinch.

Anyway, that's the physical hookup. For the electrical, I found a fuse panel in the adjoining bay already labeled and fused for macerator. It was as simple as pulling 10g wire to the water bay. Since the pump is not a perm install, I used a simple two way DC plug so that I could disconnect the pump. I used a 40 amp toggle switch. I thought about using a heavy duty relay, and would have if I were doing a permanent install.

The thread was originally about cost. Here is what I spent:

Pump 149.00 on Ebay
Wire compliments of Richard's garage
Toggle Switch 4.99
Discharge adapter for pump 1.79
Fitting for hose 2.99
Thetford adaptor 4.99
Three hose clamps 1.78

My out of pocket was 165.54

I will go to Northern Tool and get two 25 ft sections of 1" Discharge hose so that I can pump to the house. I had too much head pressure trying to pump using old garden hose.

That hose is 33 bucks a section. So if I add 66 to the total, that brings the total cost to 231.54, which is considerably less than the best prices I found on the packaged units.

In hindsight, I could not have used the packaged unit any way, since I did not have the space to mount it.
Attached Images

CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote