Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Creede diaries
Thread: Creede diaries
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2009, 03:51 AM   #33
chockwald

The dreaded Wolf Creek Pass is really a ***** cat from east to west. The approach is around 18 miles and only 2500' elevation gain. The drive down 149 from Creede was really cool...there was fog until we crossed the Rio Grande for the second time about 10 miles down. At that point we got below it, and cruised into South Fork, made the turn west, and headed for the "Pass". After we merged on to 550 to head for Farmington we had some construction, and then the wind......got it first on 64, and then very strong on 491 all the way to Gallup, NM. We took about an hour break in Gallup for lunch, and a short nap (I do need my beauty rest....). I-40 was no different than 491....just a different direction for the wind.

We did stop in Winslow, AZ to take a picture at the corner made famous by the Eagles ("I'm standin' on a corner in Winslow Arizona"....you know the rest) to take pictures. Then Darlene got in the driver's seat and led us to their cabin in Happy Jack, AZ at about 7,000' elevation.....nice and cool here as I write. According to Tom we did 465 miles today....certainly not in Wally's class, but a lot for me.

Got a call this afternoon from Steve Ward...they made it to Monument Valley, and had no problem with the pass just before Lake City.

Getting ready to take a shower in the Newell, and then hit the sack....just waiting for the water heater to come up to temp.

We had a blast at Creede, and value the new friendships started, and the blossoming of existing friendships. Was wishing for another bowl of Connie's gumbo at lunch time.

Be safe out there......we will see ya'll soon!!!
Attached Images

2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote