Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - New Newell Owner in waiting.
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 01:45 AM   #22
slateblue911

The trip to see the Newell was an eventful one. On Friday afternoon we traveled from Texas to Oklahoma City to attend an Arabian horse auction. On Saturday night we traveled from OK to Fayetteville, AR to prepare to see the Newell on Sunday. Our young teenagers didn't really want to travel with us but we felt it safer to bring them along. All they wanted was a motel with a swimming pool.

Sunday rolled around and we went to the storage lot to see the coach. The outside appeared fairly clean and with few dings and broken items. Nothing that couldn't be fixed in a weekend. We started to check things out. I just sat back and let the previous owner go through the cycle of things.

We looked at the generator first. He had already started it and it appreared fine. One of the wires was broken and he showed me where to patch it so that it could be started remotely. Immediately I asked about the A/C units. Turns out one wasn't working but the other was. That seemd ok. I could get it working. We went around the body and strted checking breake lights and marker lights. Anything that might get me stopped on the highway on the way home. This is when I noticed that the wasn't any plates with it. Turns out it hasn't been inspected in Texas since 2000. Obviously I wasn't driving it this weekend. We moved on. The brake lights worked but the blinkers didn't. We messed with that for a little bit and when we couldn't find the problem so I asked to see the other things that might get me either stopped or possible broken down on the trip. We cranked the engine but it wouldn't stay running. It was obvioous at this point that it needed the carbuerator cleaned or replaced. So we went through the inside and examined everything. Most everything functioned as it should with no problems. After about an hour of going over everything and looking at all of the work that would need to be done to get it home I asked the previous owner if he would try to keep it running long enough to pull it around the lot. I just had to see if the trans worked. He fought with keeping it cranked and moving forward and back a few times. We sat and talked for a while and we discussed how the description that he stated on Ebay was based on the vehicle running over two years ago and that by it sitting things had obviously quit working. We both reviewed the items that were working and not and adjusted the price. I gladly bought the coach knowing now what really was ahead of me.

We are now in the process of finding a carrier to have it shipped back to Texas. I can fix all that is wroing with it but I would have to do it at a storage facility in another state and deal with the diffuculties of not bering able to take my time and correct all issues before I would need to drive it.

Am I glad that I bought it? Yes. Definitely.
I do wished that it was roadworthy as the original owner had thought it was. I would have loved to brought it home and would have gladly paid the full origianal price had it been.

I have posted some additional images here on my site. I will be happy to answer any and all questions. Please feel free to comment.

http://www.stevereevesphoto.com/gall.../mynewell.html

https://www.newellclassic.com/gallery....php?album=145
slateblue911 is offline   Reply With Quote