Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Tech Talk Archives 10
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #82
Neweller

Q
1322 6/9/2004 4:05:02 PM 6/10/2004 William Griffith guzzi@bayou.com 1974 Newell We have a 78 Newell that "had" a 555 Cummins (214hp WHEN NEW). We felt that the 555 was sluggish on take off and terribly under powered. While it will eventually get up the hills, it will take a while and after everything else passes you. When we had problems (blown engine) we found that the 555 is an old out-dated engine, few machanics know how to work on it, parts are not readily available and to rebuild the top end would be over $13K. The coach is otherwise in excellent condition, with everthing in good working order and we got it at a great price so we opted to upgrade to a 6V92 (350hp) Detroit diesel. Of course, in doing this, we had to change the transmission and rear end (that had to be custom built because the rear end company was out of business). We will end up paying more for the change over than the rebuild but hopefully the increase in horsepower will be worth it. If you have any other questions that I can help you with, please let me know. William
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote