Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Why Converters
Thread: Why Converters
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 02:06 AM   #20
Brad Townsend

So far this is what I have found out:
Especially for those with a proper sized solar system to include a good 3 stage charge controller you don't really need a converter/charger but if you do have one you could leave it pluged in to the system as a back up for a just in-case situation. I don't think that you need to be concerned about the setting being set to low because the solar system will trump the charger on the converter. Our solar systems are running alllll the time, if it gets stormy for days you could have a small back up charger. I have a 40 amp 3 stage clip on charger made by Xantrex. You really do not need to buy a$200 to $600 converter/charger. I am in the process of up grading my system after re-evaluating what I have. I found a blog where this fellow is quite informative and I hesitate to pass his site on as he is quite rough with his words and is quite angry with the mainstream solar installers. I listen to what he has to say and take from it what makes sense. He has shown me a huge savings on what I can do to make my system much more efficient.

Thats my 3 more cents worth.

Brad
1988 40 ft 8v92 TA
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser,1990 Jeep Cherokee 4/WD now a desert rat
25 ft Haulmark trailer
730 watt solar panels, Full timing.
Brad Townsend is offline   Reply With Quote