Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Battery Disconnects
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #13
77newell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwe648 View Post
This would be a Simple diagram... the disconnect often times is a relay that would prevent arching

Jimmy: the airplane I was working on when burned was wired just as you described and the DC disconnect was "off". However, power is still on from the positive terminal on the right-hand battery through to the connection on disconnect. If that power can somehow reach the chassis by a short from worn insulation, a wrench on the battery terminal touching the chassis, or as in my case the tip of the safety wire touching an exposed lug, there will be plenty of heat instantly.

My reason for following up on this is that there may be people unfamiliar with how these systems work that will assume that since the disconnect is in the "off" position that it is safe to freely work in what is still a danger zone. When the disconnect is on the positive side the only safe way to work on the positive side up to the disconnect switch is to disconnect the ground side from connection with the chassis. If that is done there is no danger of repeating my hot time in the ole airplane.

77 coach, 2007 Civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote