Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - rear bedroom engine heat
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #18
smagown

My coach may have been the first 1997 with a slide. The temps in the salon would cool to 85 deg and the bedroom 90 deg. The basement air was fed into the salon on the passenger side floor behind the computer desk and in the wall enclosing the fridge. The air on the passenger side went into a five foot long wooden rectangular box covered with carpet and had a register four inches long for the passenger seat, and blew toward the ceiling thru the two vertical trim pieces on the side wall. On the wall by the fridge facing the dinette, it came out of two holes up high near the ceiling. It went over the top of the slide and was really cold up there if you put your hand up. It could not get out from the top of the slide and was really inadequate.
I posted my problem and the non slide 90's all cooled well. I was sick that I had a beautiful coach that my passengers and I were so uncomfortable in. I began considering roof airs at this point. I called Cressley at Newell and his advice was put them anywhere but in the middle of the coach between the microwave and fridge because there was wiring there. We cut two holes in the salon and I only nicked one wire and it was a 16 gauge to the one halogen round light that was eliminated. The third air I used the existing escape hatch to mount it in the bedroom. My ceiling is white with the gold inlay and the roof air ceiling piece is a matching white and looks like it came from the factory.
I will post the pics and step by step how I did it. The hard part was the fact that I didn't have my forklift out here and had to get the three units in their boxes up the 12' ladder to the top. I basically slid them up the ladder with my head!. I'm glad Tom wasn't here to document that part. Cutting the hole with the drill was trauma too. I made a 14 x 14" wooden rectangle and drew it on the ceiling and my friend who was invaluable help finally grabbed the drill and centered the first hole. I had climbed the ladder at least ten times to keep remeasuring.
I would not have kept my coach if I hadn't done this. My AC's were measuring the right voltage, amperage, and high and low side pressure but couldn't get the job done. This was one of the two best things I've done in the Newell world, the other going to Austin for the first mini rally and meeting so many of the people on the forum.
Thanks,
97 #458 w/3 roof airs, 07 997 GT3, 62 Vette,67 SS427 Chevelle, 02 Boxter, 74 GMC mtr hm, 88 Mastercraft 190 Prostar, 86 Ski Nautique 2000, 02 Baja Islander 212
smagown is offline   Reply With Quote