Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Steering Performance Changes Over the Years
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
77newell

Default Steering Performance

Richard: Thanks for your indepth reply.

since I didn't do the engine change I don't know what the previous performance was like. I have weighed and adjusted the tire pressures according to the weight.

I had the toe-in set to zero based upon the recommendation of the factory. All alignment was checked and found to be otherwise OK. Service people have checked the tightness of the system and found nothing loose but I like your suggestion of clamping things and seeing what moves and what doesn't. Since I don't mind getting a bit dirty that will probably be my next venture.

I've tried adjusting the level of the front and found no difference so far but will continue to adjust to see if any setting makes a difference.

I suspect that the steering performance issue is mainly expectations but I want to be sure. The main issue is that while towing a car my wife tends to end up with a fair bit of wandering. Without the car she does better. I've noticed that I tend to make small steering adustments by just bumping the steering wheel in the right direction and then return to center. I don't even think about it, it's just automatic for me. That works well for me but my wife just can't seem to quite get the hang of it. This is no complaint against her, I'd trade the Newell before I trade her.

The Ross steering gear has been adjusted with a surprizing twist, it was adjusted too tight. The tightness caused it to bind just a tiny bit which delayed the steering action. You couldn't feel it bindning, it actually felt like looseness in the steering even though there was none. It's much better since the adjustment.

I'm amazed at the quality of these coaches. Mine has almost 20,000 miles on it. The closet doors have absolutely even gaps to the frames when closed and the one that also blocks off the aisle when opened has an even gap to the frame when in that postion. That's on a coach that has been everywhere from Alaska to Guatamala with the previous owner. Even the orginal RadarRange works. Amazing.

Thanks to all on this site for the dialogue that keeps us informed
jon
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote