Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Jacobs Brake?
Thread: Jacobs Brake?
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
chockwald

Good morning Steve! I have a "Jake" brake on mine, also. I use it, obviously, on steep declines. I put the trasmission in a lower gear (3rd, 4th depending on the length and grade percentage) and then just flip the switch and coast. You'll feel and hear the "Jake" take effect. On really steep, long grades you may have to use the brakes to scrub some speed off periodically, but it works pretty well, and certainly reduces the need for braking 70-80%. To give an example, you may be familiar with Sherwin Grade (between Bishop and Mammoth Mountain) on HWY 395. It's about 6-7%, and about 7 miles long. At the beginning of the grade I put the coach in 3rd gear, and turn on the "Jake" brake. Typically this takes me down to around 30-35 mph. I can hold it under 45 for about 3 miles before having to scrub some speed off again. Usually have to use the brakes twice on that downhill. Best thing with these big coaches is to just take your time and preserve the brake lining. Without the "Jake" brake you would be on the brakes for the entire 7 miles, or in 1st gear the entire time, and still using the brakes a lot.

Another time when I have used it is when I have had to make what I would call a "panic" stop where just braking would not stop me in the required distance. I hit the brakes, and flip the "Jake" switch and it is amazing how fast you can stop the coach!

So, what kind of tires did you purchase?
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote